How do I adjust the clutch in my 1919

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How do I adjust the clutch in my 1919
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:23 am:

Got her fired up for the first time this season. While taking it from where she was garaged for the winter to home I noticed that when I gave it a lot of gas all at once the clutch was slipping until I backed off on the gas some. Im assuming its a little out of adjustment. Sure did feel good to get her out of mothballs for another season and back on the road, even if it was a bit of a cold drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:26 am:

The disks of the clutch are bathed in oil. In order to shift from low to high, you need to get the engine running at the same speed it would be in after you shift into high. This is accomplished by letting the pedal out into the neutral position and quickly pushing up on the throttle as you let the pedal out into high. Then after it is engaged in high, give it the gas.

One problem which would cause the clutch to slip would be if the parking brake lever is not all the way forward. If the brake rods are adjusted too long, they will tend to pull the lever back (actually push the lower end forward) when you are in low or neutral, then when you let the pedal out to high, it will cause the clutch to slip because the lever is not all the way forward.

Lastly, it could be caused by the clutch fingers needing a slight adjustment or by a weak spring.

I would check these in order and don't take the next step unless the first one doesn't solve your problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Will:

Could the transmission still be hibernating ? A gentle warm-up and slow going will have things as they were ..... need oil ???

Gremlins doing their own winter adjustments...... don't believe so.

Be kind to the 'ol girl, she's a year older.

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Will - You're getting excellent advice here, and I would add just one thing to what Norman told you:

I had a situation where my clutch was slipping, and I found that for some reason, my floorboard(s) had shifted a bit, and I had to use a rat tail file to file a bit more clearance in the forward end of the hand brake lever slot in the floor board. This then allowed the hand brake lever to go ALL THE WAY FORWARD which the wood floor board was not allowing it to do previously.

Also, and this has come up before, but altho' there are those that insist that it's okay to leave the hand throttle open with the car accelerating, and just let the clutch out all the way to "high" and let the clutch drag the engine rpm's down to the slower speed where it finally locks up in high with no further slipping (maybe). I believe, and will never change my mind, despite what others say, that this practice is lazy and abusive, and a poor way to treat a machine. Do it the way Norman suggests (close hand throttle momentarily between shift from low to high) and I'm betting you'll have no trouble with your clutch slipping. I'll bet that those that say I'm wrong would not shift a modern 3-speed manual transmission car from second to high gear with their lead foot still holding the accelerator pedal down and the engine roaring away at too high an rpm and letting the clutch drag the rpm's down to "lock-up" in high gear. To me, it's the same thing as the abusive way some people go from low to high in a Model "T". For what it's worth,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Will, I just want to make sure you are talking about the actual high gear clutch and not the low gear bands. Just in case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

crazy! its no different than a modern car, do you leave the throttle open when shifting gears? if you do you buy lots of clutches. one tip is, many people leave the hand brake lever all the way forward if you are going for long term storage, thus taking the pressure off the clutch spring untill its time to go for a ride again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:15 am:

Update, Took the car for a nice long ride and the clutch has stopped slipping. Dave, It was while the car was in high gear. Clayton, I do bring the engine to ldle while shifting from low to high. This happened while already in high gear and opening the throttle hard, like going up a hill or hard acceleration. Now i just need to get the winter germline out and she will be back to same old self.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

You need a bell hanging on your front axle to scare the Gremlin(s) away! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration