Swapping a low Style radiator for high

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Swapping a low Style radiator for high
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:37 am:

I have a1924 roadster that has been converted to a makeshift pickup. It has a junk radiator, but I have a good low style that I would like to replace it with. It doesn't have to look original, so does anyone have any thoughts of what I could do to make this work? Thanks,
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:35 am:

It would go on the car and work.
Biggest problem is the hood.
It just won't go on or would look like socks on a rooster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:40 am:

I think using a high shell with a low radiator will be a challenge too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:08 am:

Yeah, I suppose if you use a high shell the hood would work you'd just have the radiator cap down kinda low.
If (as you say) it doesn't have to be purty...you could drive it that way.
Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:16 am:

Maybe you can find someone with a good high radiator who needs a low radiator and swap. Perhaps at a swapmeet.

If you do go ahead with the low radiator, before you do a lot of modifications I would suggest that you install the radiator without the hood and drive it around a while. Try to get it warmed up very well and be sure the radiator is good. You might find that the radiator looks good and will hold water, but does not cool very well. That is especially true of the old radiators with round tubes. The problem is that the fins come loose from the tubes or the connection becomes corroded and there is not the proper transfer of heat so it overheats.

If the radiator works, then you can use the high shell. You might need to make an extension of the filler neck to make it work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Norm's advice of trying the radiator first to see whether it cools is a good one. Most used Model T radiators do not cool well, for the reason he mentioned.

If it does cool well, you might be able to use the low radiator and shell, and space them up from the frame using some wood blocks. I think the difference between low and high rad's is 1-1/2", but that may not be right. When you get it placed up there, you might find that you need a longer upper hose. When it's in the raised position, turn the fan by hand to be sure it doesn't hit the lower hose. I haven't actually tried to do what you're proposing, so I don't know what all will be required, but that's how I'd proceed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

My '25 coupe had been modified like that when I got it. It had a low radiator that was mounted on top of the frame rails using 3/8" bolts that were brazed to the top of the rails with thick(3/4") rubber biscuits that looked like '55 Chevy front motor mounts. That wasn't high enough, so the hood side panels were cut down on a taper to fit. A standard low shell was used. It was quite a mess. My advice is, don't do it, it ain't worth it. Good used flat tube radiators are out there and they work SO much better than the round tube ones. If your low radiator doesn't leak and cools good, sell it or trade it for a high radiator. JMHO from someone who has been there. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

The High Hood Firewalls are quite a bit bigger than the low ones. The cowls are larger as well. The low hood won't reach the hood shelves and would leave quite the gap. Food for thought. This Post shows some good pictures. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/232168.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:14 am:

Gary, if your car is a 24 then presumably it has the high steel firewall and hood to suit. If this is the case, then the low radiator and its shell can be mounted on wood blocks on the frame using longer bolts to hold it down. You will need a longer top radiator hose to compensate for a different radiator outlet on the top tank. There will be a slight mis-fit of the hood at the front. The high radiator shell tapers outward to follow the line of the hood side panel. The low radiator shell is not tapered, so there will be a slight gap at the side.

This is how my brother-in-law's car was found, and it remains so.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:59 am:

My 24 has a low radiator on it, most people never notice. I soldered a extra neck on the existing neck to get the height , also soldered on the lugs to fasten the shell to the side panels as the low rad doesn't have them. I then cut a spacer block from cedar to go between the shell and top of the rad. I have been running this set up for 6 years as the car came with this radiator. Honeycomb style and runs cool with no fan. I have a high radiator to go on but why fix it if it ain't broke. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Thank you all very much for the great info. I am still trying to decide what to do, but you have given me a lot to think about.
Thanks again, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Its Simple. . . .just use three pairs of hood shelves . . .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration