Ford script plugs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ford script plugs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:05 am:

I've seen a lot of Champion X plugs, and finding one with a Ford script on it is pretty rare. Rodda shows the Ford script plug being used from early 1922 to the end of production, but if all nine million of those cars came with them I'd expect to find more of them among the Champion X plugs I see today. Anybody know of a source that explains or accounts for the scarcity of script plugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

I know I find them, but I hang onto them more than the regular X plugs. Is that why we don't see as many changing hands?

I agree it seems we would see them at least as often as the non-script type, but sure don't seem to do we?

Was the script plug used exclusively from 22 on? Or were both types being used simultaneously?

Was it only a factory item, then replacement plugs were non-script?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

I just bought seven in one sale on Ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

I think the most common NOS champion X plugs are Ford script. You find them in 1930's era boxes most frequently. I bet Ford dealers carried them into the 1950's.

Below is a late 1930's - 1940's box. I bought a set of four at the Pumpkin Run swap meet outside Cincinnati a few years ago for $5. The seller had ruined a nice center door attempting to make a hot rod, then gave up and was selling all the parts and the car:

Below is an earlier one with the ribbed / brass top Ford script X plug, perhaps late 1920's - early 1930's:

This is the earliest Champion X packaging, through about 1923 for the straight sided X plug:

Here is the refill packaging for the earliest Champion X plugs:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Hmmmm... My experience has been the opposite. Lots of X, mighty few Ford script. Of course most of mine are used, not NOS. Maybe that's what makes the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

I assume that the factory and the dealer plugs were "Champion Ford" but that other retailers had the "Champion X" plugs. I've only seen aftermarket ads with "Champion X" but I'm not saying that is all there was.
plugs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

That is what I was thinking. The Ford script plugs came from Ford, the X variety came from all other suppliers. I see about 10 X plugs for every script plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

That is my working theory...at this time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration