Timer vs Distributor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Timer vs Distributor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Calkins on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:29 am:

I've been asked to drive a T for an event but it has a distributor. Does one adjust the timing similar to a T with a stock ignition system? I'm not sure what make the distributor is. I was just going to play it by ear but don't want to do anything that would mess up the car. Thanks
Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:40 am:

When you have the auto started and warmed up and you pull the Throttle down and it revs up more RPM. Then just drive the T, If you pull the Throttle down and you hear no increase but less RPM loading down the Engine, use your Left advance-Retard. With the Throttle in combination

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Craig,
It depends on how it is set up. Does it have a centrifugal advance? Or a vacuum advance?

Does it have a manual spark control? If it has a no centrifugal advance or a disabled advance with a manual spark control, then you would drive it like a normal T.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:42 am:

That's the least of your worries, it's learning to use your foot Pedals and driving the T. Safely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Calkins on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:59 am:

Jim,
It has a manual spark control. I briefly got to look at the car. I know the car runs but it has been a trailer queen lately because no one knew how to drive a T. Thank you for the help.
Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

Craig,

Looks like you live in or near Copperas Cove, TX. I am only 48 miles away in Georgetown, TX. Would be glad to show you how to drive the T one day. Send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

Craig,

If you can assume that the distributor is set up and timed correctly, start and drive it like a regular T. Your profile shows that you own 2 Ts so if you drive them this should act pretty much the same.

If you are new to driving a T, take Royce up on his offer.

Walt

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration