First startup of the year white smoke question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: First startup of the year white smoke question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:52 am:

I started my 22 Roadster pickup yesterday for the first time since October. It fired right up but smoked white for 30 seconds right after starting then cleared up. It has the premium head gasket with the silicone. I run 50/50 antifreeze I'm thinking that maybe some seeped into the cylinders over the winter. Any suggestions or comments if I should be concerned about this. Thank you James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

White smoke means a new Pope has been elected.

Does this happen every time you start it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

James,
I think, as Steve, you have find a new Pope.

Seriously I think you just had some condensation water in your exhaust that changed into steam as you started up after the winter months.
Just keep an eye on the water level and drive the car for some miles.

Good luck

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

Was it white smoke that lingered as smoke is want to do? or white steam that dissipated shortly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

I think Andre has the right idea. As he suggests, I'd watch the water level for a little while. Also, I'd check the oil for water just to be sure, but my guess is that you're fine. Just a little condensate that needed to heat up to leave the exhaust system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Sounds like your head gasket is leaking antifreeze into the cylinder/s and it burned out upon startup. This happens lots with modern cars when a gasket blows and antifreeze gets into the bores and lingers on the top of the compression rings. When the gasket is replaced and the engine started up it will smoke white smoke for several minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

White smoke is anti freeze. Re torque the head and watch the level. If it continues you got a problem. Now I'm going to tell you something you might be adverse to do. If it's smoking and dripping condensate from the tail pipe take a tiny bit of a drop on a finger and put it on your tongue. If there's a sweet like taste it's anti freeze for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

if you find antifreeze,it is very bad for bearings, make sure the oil is not contaminated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Am I correct in assuming that coolant in the combustion chamber would result in steam out the exhaust, not white smoke?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

You'll also get white smoke for several seconds if there's residual oil in the cylindersólike what happens when I intentionally spray oil in the spark-plug holes as preparation for winter storage.

If not, I'd go with Andre's assessment. Watch the coolant level, drive it a while and if nothing like that happens again, scratch your head, shrug and forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Anti freeze in the oil will do no more harm then water in the oil. That is an old wise tail.
Water or Anti freeze in the oil will do the same thing, wash the oil out of the bearings if there is too much and then you will burn your bearings.
Anti freeze in no more prone to leaking then water, it just that the anti freeze is colored and you can see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:05 pm:

Next thing is to taste the oil...........just kidding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Thank you for everyone's help after it cooled down I retourqued the head bolts. It could have just been condensation from sitting 6 months, it did seem to have a sweet smell to it so it also could have had a little antifreeze too. The smoking or steaming lasted 30 seconds then it was gone. Update started it today no smoke or steam took my wife for a nice 15 mile drive ran excellent. When I got home I pulled the oil breather cap and ran my finger around and didn't find anything milky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

Did you put any oil in the cylinders before tucking the T in for it's winter nap? If you did...a little oil will give off white smoke for a moment after starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Were any of the head bolts loose? Or turn more than expected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:49 am:

Here's to Charlie B for having the guts to post the bit about tasting it. Some folks are under the impression you would immediately drop dead upon doing so. Then there are others that think it would cause cancer. You're probably OK as long as you don't live in California. As much stuff as claimed to cause cancer in the state of California, I'm afraid to even visit, much less live there.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:17 am:

Les I did not put any oil in the cylinders before tucking it away for the winter. Erich I did find 3 head bolts that were loose. They are all torqued to 50ft lbs. now. Thank for your comments and help. James

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration