NOS Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: NOS Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:19 am:

I was lucky enough to find NOS springs for my current project. I took them apart and sand blasted them and came across these Ford scripts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Neat! Was the Ford script randomly stamped or usually in one area on all the springs. I have noticed the DD but didn't notice Ford on the springs that I've done. Maybe I didn't look close enough or it was worn off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:40 am:

You find it in lots of places, like front cross members on black era cars, rear radius rods, thrust washers, axle bearing sleeves, and timing gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:49 am:

More spring marks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4588444544/in/set-72157623890991799

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:44 am:

Great, I've found marks near the center bolt on my worn 26/27 springs.
Now you have a chance to round off the cut edges on the leafs rubbing on the leaf below, then maybe the wear will be much less than typically found on used springs.
It's easy to mix graphite powder into black paint if you can't find slip plate locally - that's close to what Ford painted the springs with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Block letters too. I recently bought a curled front leaf with block letters. Must have been made in the '20s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:06 am:

Makes me wonder if the block "FORDX" was not a factory job. Perhaps one of those spurious parts Henry warned us about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

John, The Ford script was only on one leaf. It was the fifth one down on the front on the underside of the leaf. The placement of the Ford script was 3 inches in from the center of the Ford script. The script with the DD was 5 1/2 inches in to the center of the script on the other end of the leaf. The Ford script was 1 1/4 inches long. I found no script on the rear spring, but it had the same Ford dealer tag on it and the same paint as the front. Whether it was Ford or after market, who knows.
Roger, I have ground the edges. The wear should be a lot less.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration