No coils buzz

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: No coils buzz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:32 am:

friend parked model T 3 months ago and ran fine.
Went to start yesterday and no coils will buzz.
Worked switch several times. Cranked engine over by hand and with starter. With switch on Bat I measure 6 volts at top contact and middle contact of coils. I have removed and reseated coils. It appears I get no ground. Help.
I thought about timer but can't imagine none of the 4 coils buzzing as I turn the engine over by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:40 am:

my best answer is that you have an open circut either from the key + or ground use a test light.
Or jump the coil pack + and see if it lights up.

blasted overnight gremlins

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:44 am:

I had this before. It was in my case the spring on the roller inside the timer cover.

The spring was old and brittle, and the end broke off. Once I put on a new spring I have never had that problem again.

Hope this helps
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:45 am:

How does, or does, the coil box ground? It is mounted to a wood firewall and I see no wire connecting it to ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Clean the inside of the timer and oil it. Moisture may form a little rust over the winter that prevents grounding the coils (there you have the ground for the coils, one at the time)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

Robert,
The coil box/coils are grounded through the timer when each coil is supposed to fire.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

This diagram may help. There is no ground to the coil box, only to the coils through the timer when needed.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Have you tried cranking the engine? If the engine stopped between timer segments no coil will buzz. Of course after 3 months, the battery could be low. Try charging the battery and see if that helps. Otherwise it would be a loose connection, or bad switch. Not likely to be a wire or switch if it was working good 3 months ago, but corrosion can set in in a damp climate or with a little acid at the battery terminal connections.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

The coils don't buzz on mine either, but it runs really great w/o them. That's 'cause I put in a Texas T distributor.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

Robert, turn the key to Bat and get a short jumper wire to jump from a bare or no rust spot on the engine frame to the top row terminal of each coil. If the coil buzzes in each case, your wires to the timer or the timer is bad.

The check the wires from the timer to the coil box, move the jumper wire to each terminal on the timer cover and listen for a coil buzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Uh oh Jon, now you're gonna open up Pandoras Box (again) LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

Thanks for the info. I have two T's and they both have distributors. This is my first at working on one with coils. Belongs to a friend and needs to be moved soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:06 am:

I agree Tim. It's a big can of worms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Thanks all. It was the timer. Runs like a T should now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration