1914 Windshield Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1914 Windshield Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:42 am:

My windshield has popped out of the brackets on the dash on my 1914 Touring on several occasions. The vendors sell both brass and steel versions of the brackets as 3635DW. I have removed the existing brackets and bent them back to what I thought they should be based on pictures of these parts but the windshield has come loose again. Since the top is strapped to the sides of the windshield frame, these brackets need to hold the frame in place so the top does not come up when driving.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to keep the windshield in place in these brackets? If I need to replace these brackets, will the steel brackets hold the windshield frame better than the brass (less likely to bend)?

Thanks for suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

Originals were made of steel. Brass is a bit soft in that application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Is the body bolted tight to the frame? If so loosen it up so the flexing of the frame will not twist the body so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Do u have the side braces. My '14 has brass or brass plated. I restored my '14 almost 40 yrs. ago and had to tighten my clamps once over that period of time. I noticed while looking at it today, the frame shows side movement scraping the paint on the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

I had the same problem with the repo brass brackets.
I found a pair of originals(four pieces). The repo were four of the same. The originals are two for the front and two for the interior. The top edge is shorter on the interior brackets and higher on the front. Hope this is helpful as the originals fixed my problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

I bent Dennis' brackets tight last time I was over there. I think the brass parts are just too soft.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration