56 years ago

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 56 years ago
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

1958, the year after I bought my T.
This was a driving skill test, and the object was to back over the planks without dropping a wheel off. If you did, you had to go all the way forward and start over. It was timed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Was it arranged by a veteran car club in Norway or a regular car club? (did the veteran car club in Norway recognize Model T's as interesting in '58?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Roger,
At that time I had no knowledge of any veteran car clubs. The NAF (Norges Automobil Forbund) and/or KNA (Kongelig Norsk Automobilklubb) arranged driving skill events, and you could qualify for their skill badge in bronze, silver and gold, but you had to work through the grades. Even if your time qualified you for a higher badge, your first time would only get you a bronze regardless of your time. I did get my bronze badge with my T, but the event pictured was not sponsored by any of the auto clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

What did the general public think of your car back then? Still a "russebil" to laugh at or were some starting to show it more respect/interest? In Sweden some young guys had started "Stockholms T-Fordklubb" in 1955, but it hadn't been expanded to the rest of the country yet. The general club for historic cars, AHK, was still mostly into sports cars and classics like Mercedes and Bugatti.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Back then a T did not seem to catch most people's interest. There were still a number of As on the road, and an "Improved Car" T doesn't look all that different. My T was registered and in regular use just outside of Oslo when I bought it. Remember, we had rationing of new car purchases for a number of years after WWII, and the only cars that were unrestricted, were the ones that came from behind the Iron Curtain; such as Pobjeda, Moscowitch, IFA, Wartburg, EMW, Warsava, Skoda and Trabant (spelling questionable). Sure, there were some that took a second look, and may be even cracked a smile of recognition. I never painted mine, but I bought it for my senior year in high school (gymnaset).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 05:25 am:

One of the few cars that were produced behind the iron curtain that would be interesting to own in my opinion would be a Tatraplan, built in Czechoslovakia 1948-52, the ones you listed not so much. In 1987 I took a photo of the remains of a Tatra at a large junkyard close to the Norwegian border in Eda:
tatra

The Eda junkyard and a few others were started in the 50's close to the border to supply the Norwegian market with old autos and parts from Sweden. There were less regulations here - thus more cars were sold in the post war years.

Did you put your T away for some time after high school and restored it later on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Roger,
Hurry over to Eda and see if that Tatraplan is still there! Have you seen what they sell for these days? I have seen some amazing asking prices in Hemmings.
Right after "gymnaset" I went into the military. I was at Kongsvinger the first 12 months, and then up north at Bardufoss. Not much opportunity to work on the T. 1960 to 1962 I went to a junior college in Oslo, while driving a taxi, a Volga, for money for tuition and clothes. During that time my dad put a new interior and top on, and we painted her all black. The materials for the interior used, was what we had available; - bright red vinyl, and since that was done by my dad, it will stay that way, correct or not!
1962 to 1964 I studied at the University of Utah, and after graduation I went back to Oslo for three months looking for a job. Nothing really interesting came up, so I put the T in a barn and went back to the U.S. looking for a job. Long story short, the T sat for 40 years. My oldset granddaughter was scheduled to graduate from gymnaset in Umeň in 2006, and she decided that Grandpa should drive her to the graduation ball in the T. So in 2004 I rented a trailer, borrowed my son-in-law's Opel Vivaro, and drove the 110 mil (70 miles) to H°nefoss, dug the T out of the barn and hauled her to Umeň. I bought a battery, put gas and water in and proceeded to get her started. Over the years I had poured some oil down the plug holes and cranked the engine over a few times, and what oil that had not seeped by the rings into the pan, now laid a hefty smokescreen over the area. Found out that I had no low pedal, and there were water leaks, so I worked on the issues in the summer of 2005 and got her in running shape, and the granddaughter did arrive at the ball in the back seat of the T with yours truly at the wheel. I repeated the stunt for her younger brother in 2009, but when the youngest graduated in 2012, we were in the middle of moving, so I could not do it for him. He managed to borrow a Porsche 911, so he wasn't too upset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

We have a 1948 Tatra 87 (not Tatraplan) at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.

They were originally produced from 1936 - 1950.

Although it is an extremely beautiful car, because the design screams cutting edge 1930s, in my opinion it is very passe' for 1948.

The pictures below don't do the car any justice. You have to see the car in person to truly see how impressive it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Jay Leno owns a Tatra.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/tatra/#item=83169

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Erik,
I remember well the Tatra cars. Hard to forget the Tucker style third headlight. They were not an uncommon sight in the streets of Oslo in the post WWII years. I assume they must have been the T87 or T77A. I wasn't old enough to get into the details at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:07 am:

Forum member Misha in Tula, Russia owns a late 1930s Tatra (rear engined air cooled v8) in "barn find" condition. He's hoping to eventually restore it. They are amazing cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Gotesman on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 04:31 am:

Thanks, Constantine!
This is my T-87 1942

Whole album:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110432351256929243864/albums/5776604998329282225

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:10 am:

Michael,

That is a very cool car! The induction system looks unusual.

Does the engine run?

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:39 am:

Here's a video with a restored Tatra T87 in Los Angeles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qVBaSTpmQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:08 am:

It really is one of the most interesting cars of the 1930s. Rear engine air-cooled v8!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration