OT - What does it say when the competitors talk about you? This is a Model K thread.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - What does it say when the competitors talk about you? This is a Model K thread.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 09:36 am:

I suspect one knows they have a good product when the competition mentions you in their advertising. I've noticed several period car ads in which the Ford Model K (Ford six) is mentioned in competitor advertising. Probably the most surprising to me is the first, where a Thomas dealer advertising the Thomas 40 names a Ford six as one of the cars the Thomas "beat" on a drive. The surprising aspect is, the Ford six (K) and Thomas 40 are equal in price and horsepower. The ad says "and passed them all like a rocket, even a big Ford six-cylinder:"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

Well Rob, it kind of tells me that the "Big Ford 6" had a hard time winning races. Just sayin'....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

Just saying......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Well yes, I'm aware of that, but the other articles are better geared to give you a hard time. Just sayin'...

;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

It's only fair to say that most if not all the articles crowing about how the Model K was doing were sent to the press by a Ford publicist. Just like the ads for the other makes. Obviously there will be no great effort by Rob to show the winning percentage of all makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity.

First formulated in 1968, it was historically called megalomania, and is severe egocentrism.

Just a thought......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Rob, Always remember FORD FIRST ON RACE DAY
Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:41 am:

Rob, I hope you seek treatment if you feel that is your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

"Now, Boys..." (Quote by Ward Cleaver)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

Two suppliers helping the Ford media machine, or else they felt advertising the Ford world record using their product was a benefit to their sales:

Closeup:

Closeup:

And a Model K and 60hp Thomas Flyer during the 1907 Glidden Tour:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Hmmm that's interesting. Here are the top finishers in the 1907 Glidden Tour from the Indianapolis Star, July 24, 1907.

The Model K Ford was not in the top 20 finishers. In fact the articles I have seen make no mention of a Model K Ford entering the Glidden Tour in 1907. Maybe it was just broke down somewhere on the route and got photographed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Here's complete coverage of the 1907 Glidden Tour from the Indianapolis Star:

http://www.firstsuperspeedway.com/articles/indianapolis-star-1907-glidden-tour-c overage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

Royce,
I thought you didn't believe or trust the Ford controlled media?

The Model K Ford was not in the top 20 finishers because Ford did not enter the 1907 Glidden. The Ford seen in the photo was a pilot car, and appears to be leading the Thomas car on that portion of the tour (although the unfounded assumption the Ford was broke down conveniently fits your narrative about the Model K).

The 1907 finishers with perfect scores (30 cars):

I don't know what the Glidden rules were, and so don't know what was required for an automaker to win the competition, although I'm aware Pierce Arrow won the event for several years.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration