Speedster Throttle Lever Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Speedster Throttle Lever Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:37 am:

I'm running a Stromberg RF on my 1919 Speedster (6v battery, no mag, no starter, new dizzy, electric fuel pump running at about 2 lbs pressure, Rajo head). After starting, I can throttle down to idle, and my lever is still open about 3 or 4 notches down. At this point, it seems to idle low and smooth without any problems. I can then close the throttle further, to the point the engine stops. When opening the throttle through the range, all seems well.

Just curious if this seems correct, as I wasn't sure if closing the throttle (lever all the way up) should result in the engine stopping. Seems that it would be better if the engine didn't quit when bringing the lever all the way up, but I'm still inexperienced. I haven't driven it much yet, but want to make sure as many of the adjustments are done properly as possible. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:47 am:

If you learn to live with this, the ability to completely close the throttle may help when slowing down - the engine breaks better with the throttle closed. You may have noticed the ordinary brake needs all the help it can get..

I've read about T'ers who has added a notch (weld, filed down screw?) on the quadrant where it will idle, then when forcing the lever further up over the added notch, they have a mini jake brake :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Dave,
Normally when the throttle lever is all the way up the engine should idle without killing it.

You could replace (make) a throttle rod that is the correct length or install an adjustable throttle rod. Apparently earlier T's had an adjustable rod. Some ideas here:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/320090.html?1352178964

And a few photo of adjustable throttle rods here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=adjustable+throttle+rod+site:http://www.mtfca.co m/discus/messages/&lr=&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-AxEU_fYDqSHygHk3YDYAQ &ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1088&bih=504

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

I agree with Roger's idea. If you can shut the motor down, you have the best engine braking effect. Even a low idle will reduce this effect. It takes a little to get used to not whacking the lever up against the stop when stopping, but it is a trick worth learning in my experience.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Thanks to all three of you for the information. I kinda thought that it shouldn't quit when I bring the lever up all the way (Jim), though I understand (Roger and Allan) that would indeed provide the best engine braking possible if I were to leave it as is.

The throttle rod does have an adjustment on the end connected to the lever (photo below), so I can make the adjustment, if I decide I need to. I'll try driving it for awhile as is, to give good engine braking. If I find I keep stalling it by setting the lever too far up, I might adjust the rod length a bit longer to give less travel so the engine won't quit.

Thanks again for the help!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration