Hoghead

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Hoghead
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

How do you guys deal with worn shaft holes in the hogshead? Only thing i can think of is taking it to a machine shop and having bushings installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

If you buy new shafts and they're loose in the holes, that's about all you can do. I suppose you could make some bigger shafts, but that'd be a lot more work. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

Gary,

I can't find the part numbers right now but you can have a machine shop index the hogshead and put bushings (and an outer lip or O ring seal) in. If you have access to a milling machine with a 90 degree attachment it is not hard to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Paul...Ive seen the O ring in one of the parts books..Snyders i think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

11/16 drill rod makes an oversize shaft, then ream the hogshead. BTDT many times for a good fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

I bought a 0.005" over size shaft from Snyders and It worked just fine after reaming with an adjustable reamer.

The reamer worked just fine in the cast iron. Much better than trying to ream brass by hand.

Pretty sure about the 0.005" , but at my age, the memories don't always match reality. It might have been a little larger, or maybe a dream.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

Would brass/bronze bushings be to soft ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

If you do buy new pedal shafts be careful about the new clutch pedal shafts. Some are not made right.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

Bushings and seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Herm...did you use bronze bushings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

They Were Brass.

I have always used Brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:01 am:

Herm, why use brass? Wouldn't bronze last longer? Just curious. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:42 am:

Why would it matter, would any of us live long enough to wear out a rebuild of brass or bronze!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 06:20 am:

i could not find anyone who would machine and install bushings but that would be what i would do if it was an option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:45 am:

Jim Weir, If I buy 0.005" over size shaft from Snyders does the pedal hole on the pedal has to be made larger also?? or does it remain the same ?
just wondering, for I have a set that I can do
Thank you Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Yes; The hole must be reamed. I have a set of expandable reamers. The cast iron reams much better than using them in brass.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

Herm, why use brass? Wouldn't bronze last longer? Just curious. Dave "End Quote"

I don't know Dave, I have never had any wear out.

The one"s I use are cast Brass.

Don't use Oil lite.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

Some time ago I posted about reaming alloy covers to accept bronze bushes and proper oil seal as Herm shows. I have never done the same on a cast iron cover, but can see no reason why it would not work. The bushes I use are a stock item available from our bearing suppliers. The shafts you have available from the vendors are also stock items. The seals I use are available to you in the USA. A very helpful forum poster sent me a small supply.

All you need is the adjustable reamers and a fly cutter to seat the seals. The pedals remain un-altered. The shafts are un-altered. The appearance is un-altered.

Altogether a most satisfactory re-build.

Hope thie helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 12:44 am:

Yes, you can do all Hog's heads.

I use a series of sizes, and lengths of solid reamers, end bore type, for the holes, and seals counter bore.

I hand ream the Brass peddle bushings for a shaft fit that just with out drag.

The high speed shaft on cast iron heads I bore all the way through and I leave the bushing stick out and plug with a cup type soft plug.

The blind hole just didn't work for me.

We have rebuilt all the hog's heads on the engines we have done.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration