Where'd You Get Your License?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Where'd You Get Your License?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

Reading another thread made me think of something I had almost forgotten. If you look carefully at the picture of my TT, on the wood on the right side of the windshield at the top you may be able to see a miniature California license plate (it's pretty faded out). It measures about 2" X 5".

In August 1954 (Dang, soon 60 years ago) my grandfather and I had breakfast together at about 6:00 AM. I was 6 years old. Breakfast consisted of a bowl of Wheaties, with sugar, milk and a little coffee. In the Wheaties box was this license plate. After finishing our breakfast we went to the barn for a hammer and a couple of nails, then when to the T and nailed it where it remains to this day.

So, when folks ask if I got my license in a box of Cracker Jack, the answer is, "NO! Wheaties!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Cool Beans! That's a great remembrance to have Henry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

I have several I saved in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

This is what I thought you were posting about. But it is not.

In California around 1943 during the World War II There was one year when they issued a decal which you put on the windshield for the license. The metal plates were not made that year. Thereafter, they made a metal tab to place on the corner of the license, but many people took them off and put on their car without paying the fee, and so after a few years they went to the sticker which we use today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Love it. I will strive to be such a fine Grandpa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

that neighbor hood dont look much like a home for a model t, do the neighbors call you jed clampet? nice truck, nice memory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:24 am:

Cool story and cool truck Henry. Does that radiator work? Could just be the way the pictures sometimes distort things, but from here it looks pretty tired!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Clayton: I believe my truck makes a statement. They can all have their new $60K+ trucks with all the chrome. Mine is better! :-)

Tim: The radiator works, but it is tired. It cools OK but has a slow leak that is so slow once filled I'm good to go for the day. That's next on the list when money for it is available. In the meantime we do OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

When someone upset my dad as he was driving he would say -

"Where did he get his license? Montgomery Ward?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 01:22 pm:

My dad used to say " a Cracker jack box"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

I have a wrapped set of 49. I bought the set from a retired Gen MIlls employee, This one is from a loose set.

plates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Rogers on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

Henry, that is an unbelievably cool truck!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration