Where can I find a 11/16 X 4-1/2 inch bolt grade 5 or 8

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Where can I find a 11/16 X 4-1/2 inch bolt grade 5 or 8
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

I need two 11/16 inch bolts 4-1/2 inches long (or longer to cut off) prefer NF grade 8 but grade 5 will be OK. Also need the castle nuts. It is to install my Laurel speedster lowering brackets. The Ford spring perches are 11/16 inch and that seems to be a odd size. I have checked with some online bolt companies, but no luck yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:46 pm:

Drill them out to 3/4".
Or try some metric bolts.
17mm is 11/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

Maybe drill them out or bush them to a smaller size.

11/16" = 17.46mm so 17mm probably would not work as a direct placement.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Donnie,
I've got a bolt company nearby that I can check with tomorrow. If no luck, I've got a friend who might can make them. I'll let you know when I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Driscoll on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

The only place I have ever seen 11/16" bolts used was on a diesel cylinder head. Cummins 903 if I remember correctly. I remember the size because I tried to buy some bolts shorter than the head bolts to use for liner hold downs and couldn't find any.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

It appears that the 11/16 size may be obsolete. I have stumbled across a couple hot rod forum threads with others looking for 11/16 also. It appears they had no luck. Mike Ill wait till you ask your bolt company if they are available. My next choice would be to drill out to 3/4 inch. There is lots of stuff available in 3/4 inch size. There is enough metal on the brackets that I see no problem with oversize holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:27 am:

The repro laurel brackets come with bolts - are you fitting originals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:35 am:

Would these work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYLINDER-HEAD-BOLT-11-16-11X5-55-Manufacturer-Part-FP-51 48324-/161154654598?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item258590e186&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 01:36 am:

Donnie, Try Bill Bohlen at Antique T Motorsports. He sold me a pair of the Laurel bolts a few years ago. He does the repop Laurel brackets, and his bolts fit my original brackets perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Yes my brackets are original brackets. I will try to contact Bill about his parts. The head bolts will not work because of the machined relief in the center of the bolts. They will support my brackets but there will be no contact/support in the axle..... Thanks everyone ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:54 am:

I think I used M18x120 bolts, since M17 is rarely used. 18mm is about 0.709" Will check when I'm closer to the garage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M18x2-5x120-Class-8-8-Metric-Hex-Bolt-Cap-Screw-Black-Pk -2-/351021537712

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

Donnie,
My sources failed! The machinist can do it, but not economically feasible. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Have you tried McMaster-Carr in Hotlanta? If they don't have it, probably nobody does. I recently needed some 1" NF nuts for a trailer hitch ball. Not only did they have them in regular nuts, but had them in thin jam nuts as well. Ordered on Monday; received them in Houston by UPS on Wednesday. You can't beat their service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

I had an 11/16" USF tap and die at the shop.
I'm sure they are still there but can be bought.
Studs made of C1045 cold finished steel would have a tensile strength of about 91,000 pounds versus 120,000 or a 92,000 yield strength for a grade 5 cap screw.

You could use pairs of jam nuts >>> http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Plain-Steel-Jam-Nut-11-16-18-RH,35642.html rather than making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

I may be able to help you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Terry I checked out McMaster-Carr. No 11/16 inch bolts. They had a lot of interesting goodies that may be handy later. I have not heard back from Bill yet, and Kevin I sent you a PM. Henry must have liked 11/16 inch size. The holes the shackle bushings press into are 11/16 and the spindle bushing holes in the spindle are also 11/16. he may have got a good deal on 11/16 inch drill bits and reamers .... Still looking .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

I had a look at my bolts. Turns out I used M16x110, they are available in 120mm length too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hex-Bolt-Cap-Screw-Metric-QTY-2-M16-x-2-x-120MM-Class-8- 8-Black-/281131681881

I've made my own brackets, they are a tight fit to the axle so it's clamped in place & can't move even with bolts not completely filling up the perch bolt holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

You could make 11/16 shafts from "Stressproof" steel (125,000 psi yield and free machining if I remember correctly). Turn each end down to 5/8 and thread 5/8-18 and use 2 castle nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:16 am:

There are some good work-arounds here.
Mind you stressproof isn't the easiest stuff in the world to thread.
Would the perches stand reaming to 3/4"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:26 am:

Craig: The easiest fix is reaming out to 3/4 inch. I just hate to modify a good set of original brackets unless I have to. I hope to buy a pair of bolts from Bill Bohlen/Antique T Motor Sports, if he will sell a set. But if they are not available Ill probably ream to 3/4 inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:54 am:

With 18mm bolts you'll only have to ream out from 0.6875 to 0.709, not so much to cut.
A cheap 18mm drill bit would probably do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spiral-Flute-HSS-Straight-Shank-Twist-Drilling-Bit-18mm- for-Electric-Drills-/321293932859

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

Seem like problem may be solved. Bob contacted me and said he will sell a pair of the bolts that go with his Laurel style brackets he makes and sells. He stated the bolts are special made for him. From all the research I have done it appears 11/16 inch bolts are scarce as "hens teeth" Thanks to a fellow T guy I have one more problem solved. Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

I received the bolts from Bob Bohlen/Antique Motor Sports. They are very nice high quality items. I think they were well worth the price considering they are custom made items. Thanks Bob for selling me a pair. laurel boltslaurel bolts and brackets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

What about Fasinall or a farm implement dealer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

Some Detroit diesels use 11/16 head bolts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration