1 + 1 = 1

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1 + 1 = 1
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

If I keep adding correct parts to my put-together 1915, eventually it will look real enough to fool the experts.

The top steering column is one I bought at the local tractor show last summer. I figure it was on a car that sat out in the weather so it collected water that froze and produced the bulge. I found the bottom one at Chickasha last month. I think parts from the two of them will make one good 1915 steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

Now you will have to decide on early or late 15, bulb or magneto horn? keep the wire tube or rip it off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 11:48 pm:

After all what is your car but used parts.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:18 am:

Those are both late 15-17 columns. The early 15's had spark/gas rods like the 13-14 shape ,no horn tube(Brass horn)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:24 am:

Yes, late 15 is just right for my June car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:25 am:

Steve,

Some of the early 15s had the longer taper on the spark and throttle levers (same as 14). I've seen these and the later levers (like on your columns) both brass plated or painted black. Simplifies things, doesn't it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:01 am:

A June 1915 car should have brass plated spark levers like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:34 am:

I don't detect any brass on the levers now, but that doesn't mean it won't be there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:04 am:

I wonder whether a guy could do a little blacksmithing and make those "mouse ear" levers into the longer tapers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Steve, will you build another car with the parts you are replacing? %0)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:19 am:

I think Steve should have looked harder for a true '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:46 am:

Steve, When I first saw that upper picture I thought you had found a secret to making a female steering column a "mother".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Mike: A three pound hammer and an anvil will make great "mouse ears" out of later spark/gas levers. I've done, it not hard. I don't remember if I did them hot or cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 03:06 pm:

And i approve of building another car from the replaced parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration