Finally found a screwdriver for my tool roll.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Finally found a screwdriver for my tool roll.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 04:13 am:

After looking since 2005, I have finally located what I believe is a 1902 screwdriver for my 1918 van. I think I now have everything....except the tool roll itself. I'm guessing the vendors have those... If this is not the correct screwdriver, it must be pretty darn close! Better still, it has never been pounded on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 05:24 am:

:-) So that's what an Old Ford screwdriver looks like
I know that I have at least one of those floating around in a junk tool box
I will have to go on a treasure hunt :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:49 am:

I thought that the screwdrivers had seven flutes around the handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:22 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:27 am:

Should be eight flutes. The shape of the shaft is different too. But it will do as a substitute. Most people won't know. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Here's my tool kit all sandblasted and wire brushed and ready to go to the gunsmith for bluing. The screwdriver on the right doesn't get blued, as I understand it. I'm told the handle was dipped in black paint, even though I don't see a note to that effect on the drawing posted above. BTW, the flutes on the handles of all of these I've seen are not nearly as distinct as those shown on the drawing. Some are hardly there at all. But Steve is right about the orientation of the blade. He's also right that hardly anyone would notice the difference. :-)

scr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

You would think with all the tools reproduced these days, Like hub pullers, That someone would make the screwdriver complete with licensed ford script. i would buy one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

Screw driver has no Ford script on it.This is a nice find.I have picked up 2-3 in the last 40 years of looking.I have never seen a non-screwdriver tipped set of Ford pliers either. Mike,Why is you headbolt wrench unmarked?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

Unc -- It's marked with Ford script, but it's right in the flat shiny spot near the lower end. Here's a pic of them after bluing, but before oiling.

tools

My gunsmith friend told me that bluing doesn't stop rust; you need to oil blued parts to stop rust. Sure enough, when I pulled the tools out of the roll to photograph them, there was a rusty haze on one side of the monkey wrench handle. They're oiled now. :-)

t-2

I'll need to deal with that rust, and I now see that the band wrench has some as well. The camera flash highlights it; I didn't see it by eye. The jack is painted, and the Noera oil can is replated with copper. I also have a nice double-barrel brass Bridgeport tire pump which Uncle Jack restored and gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. What a nice surprise that was!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

I would still recommend airing up tires with the compressor at the shop before getting stuck along the road and having to replace the tore up tube in a tire..Hand pumps are pretty much ,just for show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Mike: I don't know the year you plan to use that tool set on, but the hubcap wrench is mid '20s. Judging from the screwdriver, and the band wrench, I believe you should consider one with the shoulders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

It would be nice to have some information on the evolution of the #1349 wrench. It never changed in Kansas because we don't have evolution. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Larry -- I put this set together to use with my '15 Coupelet. The hubcap wrench is correct, according to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines. I know other sources conflict, but the MTFCI judging goes by their own Guidelines, not Bruce's book. If you'll get Russ to change the Guidelines, I'll use another wrench when I show the car. I have another one with the maker's mark and without the Ford logo, which I believe is correct, MTFCI Guidelines notwithstanding. I thought the screwdriver and band wrench were correct. If not, please educate me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:38 pm:

I've never understood why there seems to be so much disagreement on what belongs in the tool sets. I'd like to assemble one myself but I don't even know where to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

Information on Ford tools is hard to find. I suspect there would be a lot of looking at the Benson Research place and then not much help.I have a few "Z" tools that I can find no documentation on. there have to be more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

Larry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

Mike W,
Have you got everything else ready to go together when you ever get your body back? Only 2 more months until Petit Jean!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:23 am:

The screw driver is very distinct in appearance. I've had 3 of them over time and they stand out in a box full of wooden handled drivers at flea markets. As mentioned the flutes look almost nothing like the drawing and the metal shaft looks short in comparison with the handle. The shaft should show at the end of the wood and look for the rivet also. It's an odd ball all right. I've seen one that appeared to be un-painted and two with black wooden handles.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration