Model T Firing Order

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Firing Order
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:31 am:

Yesterday I ran across an illustration in last year's forum of the firing order. It shows the positionof the iginition wires on the commutator. The illustration has #1 at the 9 o'clock position, #2 at the 6 o'clock, #4 at the 3 o'clock and #3 at the 12 o'clock. When I compared it to mine it was all wrong. My '27 has the #4 at the 9 o'clock, #3 at the 6 o'clock, #1 at the 3 o'clock and #2 at the 12 o'clock. When I chnaged my wires to reflect the illustration the engine won't even fire. The reason I was looking into this is my engine seems to be running on 3 cylinders with number 4 hitting every now and then plus it doesn't have any power and advancing or retarding the timing has little effect.Firing Order

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:44 am:

You will notice that the coil box shown in the picture is an earlier one with the coils mounted behind the firewall. No 1 coil is on the left and No 4 coil is on the right. On a 27 T the coil box is located on top of the cylinder head and #1 coil is on the right. So the coils are in exactly the reverse order than those shown in the picture above. I believe the wiring you found before you changed it was correct for your car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Randy, sometime two wrongs do make a right.
You could start on any position on the timer and as long as you went to the correct coil/plug for that firing position, the engine would run fine.
That would make it difficult on anyone following you and trying to trouble shoot the ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:40 am:

If you are wired right at the commutator...and wired correct at the top (Black on same coil as #1 Plug Wire/Red on same coil as #2 plug wire/etc) and you find that you are STILL scratching your head...

Pull the timer, pull the roller/flapper, look at the camshaft end/someone drilled it through one time...and your roller/flapper is in 180 degrees out of where it should be....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:48 am:

Best I can tell is there are too many cams that are drilled through to be someones fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:33 pm:

This is an EXCELLENT Post somehow it would be great to make a page of the best posts for reference. Others have suggested goggling "MTFCA ... and your technical question to search many many posts" which I do It is a wealth of information keeping these cars running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

David...what I do when I run into a helpful post that I think would be good to keep for future reference is that I save that particular post on a special, separate USB flash stick. That way all I have to do is pop it in the computer and start looking/reading.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration