OT Humor quick BAD STUPID modern disk brake repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Humor quick BAD STUPID modern disk brake repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

I changed out my wife's front brake (disk) pads two days ago in about 40 minutes in the drive way. Bragged well I just saved us 100 dollars ! She came home from work saying Boy the brakes sound funny. Took it for a drive sounded like metal on metal on the right front . (guess the problem here

Yes took it apart, in the fading light I had placed one brake pad with metal on metal contact ! Fixed it in 15 minutes came back inside and said "problem solved they were just sticking !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Yeap, that would have been my guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

"Problem solved, they were just sticking". Nice recovery!

You are safe to post that here. It's a man code thing. Anyone that tells on you should turn in their man card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

It is always a good idea to put the brake pads in backward to knock the ridges in the disc down, then after about a day, you should reverse them. This saves taking them to a lathe to be turned., you just need to reverse the other three and you are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

I forgot to mention, if the surface of the disc is good, there is no need to reverse the pad, so I would think that you are good already:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Been there, done that. Forty years ago I installed a clutch disc backwards in a corvette. Made a lot of noise when the pedal was pushed. Dah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:18 am:

The sad part is what percentage of Males even know how or have even changed out a shoe or disk pad brake ? I have not been able to get my kids interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:21 am:

David,

My kids know exactly how to get it done. They ask me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:48 am:

I have the opposite problem, My two grown sons seem to think that old cars are the most important thing in life. I wanted them to take some interest, but not that much.
Now here I am past 70 and no grandchildren
My fault?????????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Henry could not have been wrong with emergency brake shoes metal to metal could he?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

In my opinion, the only thing wrong was that it should have been called a "parking brake" Paul, 'cause that's the only way it should be used!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

The only reference in the Ford Price List of Parts booklets list #2566 & 2566-B as "hub brake shoe" & "hub brake band" - no reference to either "parking or emergency" brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

have a 2011 Nissan Rogue and I have the oil changed at the dealership. Cost is OK & they have the records that I'm maintaining the car. They told me my rear pads were thin so I picked up a set locally without opening the box. Pulled both sides apart opened the box & the new ones were very very slightly thicker than what I'd taken off. Now the fronts do most of the work so that's probably why the rears are thinner when new but I shot off a nasty e-mail yesterday to the dealer. Awaiting a reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:28 pm:

Well Charlie, I too find it necessary to shoot off a nasty email on similar matters from time to time. I'm not so sure they do any real good, but they sure make me feel better! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 03:17 pm:

My bride was laughing about mail from the IRS yesterday after work. Apparently she understated the amount received by 69.00 from Oregon unemployment. after checking with work numbers. She sent 69.00 to the IRS with an apology and received mail saying they were sorry if it stressed her out! This IRS thing is becoming a real joke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

Before my kids could drive, they needed to show me they could change the oil, spare tire and front brakes. They may pay people to do the job, but it is their choice. My baby girl (24) stopped by yesterday to rotate her tires. We found a nail and plugged the tire too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration