Can this be fixed ? tras. cover 26

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Can this be fixed ? tras. cover 26
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

can this be repared .the cover is for a 26 engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Yes,It is cast iron,and could be Brazed up,shaped and then drill hole again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

thank u Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

Jack;
U doing OK??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Richard,sent you PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Lorenzo, I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to repair your trans cover? Find a large thick enough washer that overlaps the damage with a hole fitting the original screw. Grind off a part of the washer so it fits in place. Maybe then the screw in combination with the three other screws can hold the u-joint housing securely in place?

Uncle Jack, hang in there :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

I had one on front of tranny cover and I tried the washer thing,but it wants to "cock: and I finally took it off welded it up and did it right. So far ,so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

Lorenzo, I don't know if you want a cover bad enough to pay the freight from Texas (Houston area) to where you live, but I've got one you can have for the shipping. It has a worn clutch release shaft, but bolt holes are all OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:04 am:

Lorenzo, it can be readily welded with a nickel based arc rod also. Either way will be just fine. If you don't have the missing piece, one can be fabricated from a piece of steel, or just fill it in with weld or braze and grind to fit and redrill the hole. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:44 am:

Lorenzo: That type of cast iron weld is a easy one to do. Any type of weld with a crack open on both ends or like yours a piece missing from the edge is very weldable as there is little stress on a "open crack" cast iron weld. The problem with cast welding is stress to the weld from dis similar materials. A "closed end crack" (like in the water jacket),that is in the middle of a piece of cast iron is a different matter. The stress of the welding has no where to go and will sometimes crack out again after welding. There are ways around it but a "closed end crack" can be a pain in the butt. I would grind the area clean, build it up with brass or nickel, and grind, file, and drill it back to shape. It will out last you. A trick to welding cast is to have the weld area cleaned (very clean), and bevel the sides of the crack or weld zone. Then take a die grinder or wafer grinding wheel and cut "teeth" into the weld zone/bevel area. Make it look similar to "file teeth" That will give you more "surface area" for the braze/nickel to adhere to. Brazing is a surface type of weld very similar to soldering. The 2 metals do not "mix" and re-alloy as a standard weld does. The brass just "bonds to the surface" Good luck with the project........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Do you all think this one is repairable ??????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Water jacket that bad in this spot makes one wonder about how thin spots are on the rest of that block ?! If a rare or important block to keep then perhaps. Another block for replacement is way less work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

This block was in a speedster - full oil pressure, Fronty R OHV, lightened flywheel, etc.

It was "repaired" with solder, then full hi-perf. rebuild done and had been weeping for quite some time - replacement block in the works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

Thanks to all ,Terry thanks for the offer. I have another cover that I will look at local. regards
Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Steve: I could weld that and it be OK... Guaranteed.... That said, not everyone could do it. A good experienced welder can fix it. But ask questions and feel them out as to experience. I can not tell from the photo, but it just appears to be a freeze crack and not rust thru. If you have another block and plan on using it. Please do not scrap this one. In a few years these type of blocks may be all we have to use. I once welded a head for an old tractor that was not available anywhere. It was broken into 5 separate pieces. Luckily it had not broken thru any of the plug holes. It has been about 20 years ago and still going strong. So almost anything can be welded.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration