What front and rear springs to use on speedster project.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What front and rear springs to use on speedster project.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Im in the process of setting up my speedster chassis, and going thru all my piles of stuff to see what I have and need. What springs are a good choice.?? My front end is a stock axle, with 26-27 spindles hung on an original set of Laurel lowering brackets. that should give me a 3-1/2 inch drop (2-1/2 inch for Laurel brackets and 1 inch for the spindles) My rear end will be the pre 26-27 style with small drums, because I have a nice set of original AC small drum brakes. Im trying to use what I already have. The rear cross member is a 3 inch drop cross member that just replaces the stock rear cross member. That will give me a 3 inch drop in the rear and 3-1/2 in the front for a little bit of rake to the chassis. My only thing left to consider is how many leaves to the springs and what years to use. I think the 26-27 springs are different than the others. ???? So what would be my best combination to keep the rake I have now. I would not mind being a little lower as long as it maintains a level chassis or the 1/2 inch higher to the rear. The chassis will ride on a set of 30X3-1/2 inch Disteel wheels. I am trying to keep all the parts original Ford or original period accessories, no repro or later type of items. Ill post some photos later, as I get a little more into the project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:29 pm:

folks usually eliminate one or two top springs, less weight,less spring needed. a goal to shoot for, if you look at all the old photos the low riders have the spindle at about the same height as the frame rail. looks good in my opinion. need to set a motor in to see how far it drops. have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

I installed a reversed eye front spring that lowered it just about right for my Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

If you go fenderless,doesn't matter.If you have fenders,you can get to close to tire on a bump.Then you got problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

Donnie I have a rear spring that has been dearched at the rear, my health says I'll never use it, if interested I'll have the niece send you a photo next week danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

I think I'd use a stock '26-'27 spring in the front, because you'll still have nearly as much weight as stock in front, and the improved car springs have less arch than earlier ones. You'll probably have a lot less weight in the rear, so you could lose 2 or 3 leaves there. It might take a bit of experimenting to get the ride you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

John: Thanks for the offer but I think I want to use something stock so I can replace easily if I need to. Mike how do I easily identify a 26-27 front or rear spring.?? I was also curious if the small drum or later large drum rear ends were different in heights. I measured the rear spring perch center line to the centerline of axle tube and it is the same. It appears to be aprox. 4 inch on both styles. So it appears the Improved Fords chassis were lowered with springs and front spindles only. Unless the rear crossmember for 26-27 has a different arch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

Donnie, it has been my experience that removing leaves from the rear spring will make the light end of a speedster bounce around like crazy. I put back all but one of the leaves I took out. Perhaps the best way is to have the spring re-set if you are not lowering the frame.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

I tried using less leaves. It doesn't work. Not only did I have problems bottoming out, but the rear axle would get into a dangerous "hop" if I happened to be braking and hit the slightest bump at the same time. I went back to standard springs. No problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

Allen and Jerry..... Two people saying basically the same thing is a sign you speak from experience. Ill heed your warnings as it makes sense. The bouncing could possibly be controlled with shocks of some kind .. but I have a dropped rear cross member that will lower the car 3 inches with a stock spring. It has a higher arch and is designed to be a direct replacement of a stock cross member. Ill start posting photos as soon as I get the chassis stuff figured out and mocked up. All of you will probably be sick of this project by time I get her done. This is a 30 year collection of parts I have been hording. All I needed was a good original body. Found it at Chickasa this year, so after 30 years, here we go ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

I'd listen to those who have experience in this area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

I left the full springs on my speedster,because it has fenders.The chassis is pretty much stock.I'm running 21 inch wires and on gravel,in a curve the front wheels will dig in and your fanny can pass you up in a heartbeat if you're not careful

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration