I Wanna Throw A Birthday Party and Need Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: I Wanna Throw A Birthday Party and Need Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

I almost hesitate to ask this because I know so much has been posted on the subject, but I find it confusing. I would like to determine when my 1914 Touring was built. The engine serial number is 543051 which, according to McCaully, means it came out of the factory on July 7, 1914, right? The engine casting number is B18 52714, which means it was cast May 27, 1914, right? The brass dash plate number is 510752. From what I've read on this very helpful forum, the engine serial number and the brass dash plate number in this period of production don't necessarily match. The body number (stamped into the wood) is 1419122. It is a Beaudette (sp?) body having the "B" stamped into the rear seat riser metal. There is a metal plate under the front seat cushion but I can barely make out the numbers.

The question boils down to this: Do we celebrate the cars' centennial on May 27 or July 7 of this year or on another date?

Thanks in advance for your help on this and all your help in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

Are you serious?? Some where there is a rubber room....It is an inanimate object,man made and nothing else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Marty,

ALL of the above :-)

There is no way of knowing until someone turns up the actual skipping manifest and so far they either don't exist or got caught in a fire.

Some folks love to say that you take the engine number build date and call it quits at that...that is the most common I think...

After that it is a crap shoot! Was the 'car' built at Highland Park? Or Kansas City? Or Long Island City? Or any one of the by then dozen or so approved and operating assembly plants? Takes time for the bits and pieces to get from point A to point B and once arriving at point B was also subject to last in/first out inventory usage.

Sorry if it confuses further, but...up until now there is no way to know even close unless someone turns up an original bill of sale for their car and then the real birthday would be somewhere between the engine date and the bill of sale date.

Consensus wins...so take the engine build date...you'll then be as accurate as anyone else :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Rice on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

My T disagrees with you, Jack. Said so herself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

Someone got up on the wrong side of the planet........ :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

Common sense is a rare thing,either that or another attack of Chemo brain. Sorry if I offended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Rice on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

She forgives you. At her age she's not one to hold a grudge. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:55 pm:

jack, funny, one of my friends who has been known to "loose it" when things are fighting him, he always shouts "you inanimate object you" as he is beating on it with a hammer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

Wow, Jack!! It was just a friendly, light-hearted way of trying to find out more about my cars' build date. Apology accepted. And, thanks, Will, George and, Craig.

But, if anyone can still help with something a little more definitive, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

I think Marty's desire to know the manufacture date of his car is not at all uncommon around these here parts—I've heard that question asked lots of times. The birthday party makes it a bit more fun and as the Model T is just about the least pretentious brass car out there, a little lighthearted silliness is perfectly consistent with the design. Heck, there's a reason so many of the early film comedians (Laurel & Hardy, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, etc.) picked the Model T for their tomfoolery.

So yeah; do the research, archive the history and be a good custodian of the relic. Then, light the candles and blow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

Thanks, Bob. Great response!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:11 am:

Jack.......you made me laugh.......the 2nd time....... LOL ....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 03:56 am:

Marty, there is a 10-15% chance your car is noted with some dates and details in the Accounts Receivables ledgers at the Benson Ford research center in Dearborn.
The main problem is you must go to Dearborn and do the research in person. Even if only a small part of production is noted, it's still tens of thousands of cars in lots of books.

See Royce's posts in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/152937.html?1280578413

The ledgers are organized by dealer name, so it's much easier to check if you have an idea where the car was first bought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Celebrate twice. You're bound to get it right !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:11 am:

It's a 1914, right? Party on from now til the end of the year. Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:51 am:

Thanks to all for your help and input. Roger, I live in the Detroit area so going to the research center isn't a problem; finding the time is but I will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Marty,
Party? Did I hear party? I wanna come.

Seriously, many of us like to know a date when either our car was built, sold, arrived at the dealership, etc. Some know, while many of us must make an educated guess.

Good luck pinpointing a 'date" and when you do, enjoy the party.

:-)
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:15 am:

If you ever has a reason to tear down the transmission, you'll find another date on the transmission shaft if it's still a pre ~1915 shaft in there

Most likely it's the day the transmission was assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:48 am:

If your car is like most of the Model T's running today, is consists of many used parts which have been pieced together to form today's Model T. It is quite possible that the engine is not the original engine and even if it is, it could have been manufactured on a different date than the body. Even the various parts within the engine and the body could have been manufactured on different dates.

The logical thing to do would be to celebrate the entire year as the centenial of your car. It is too late to start in January, but you could start in April and continue to celebrate for the rest of the year.

Have fun!

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Ronning on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:08 am:

it came out of the factory on July 7, 1914, date of birth from factory.
the engine was cast May 27, 1914,date of conception? I would use July 7th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:26 am:

I think either one would be acceptable. I like the idea of having a party both days, because who doesn't like a party?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:57 am:

Thank you to all of you for your help. Bob, I like your dates and Norm, there is nothing wrong with an all year party!!! Also, Norm, from all that we can tell, and all indications regarding the car ie:condition, markings, stamping, etc. my car is a very original car and, in fact, it looks like the body has never been off. It ain't no show winner but we bought to be "go-er not a show-er" and it runs great. We put about 1,400 miles on it last summer until the rear drive shaft bearing sleeve disintegrated on the last tour last fall. I'm in the process -- with a lot of help -- of rebuilding the rear end now (anybody got a rear axle shaft to spare?) to get it ready for this touring season. Again, thanks to all for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Marty reach out to Steve Jelf he has posted that he bought a bunch of rear ends to save them from the scrap heap he might have a good one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:39 am:

I might. I'll check my little pile of axle shafts and see if there's a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:12 am:

G.R. and Steve, thanks. Steve we might want to take this off the forum and do some private messaging. I just sent you one and thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration