Elmer Bemis Model K roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Elmer Bemis Model K roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

For Rob Heyen and Timothy Kelly:

Rob had recently started a thread regarding the 1954 Anglo-American Vintage Car Rally. See below.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/426823.html?1395261672

In case you weren't already aware, Elmer Bemis had a small accident with the car. Refer to the frame below from the newsreel film. Note the damaged passenger side front fender and missing headlight.

I was going through some newspaper and magazine clippings that my father saved over the years. The rally was the cover story of the November 29, 1954 issue of Sports Illustrated which I have scanned below. Read the third paragraph of the story which mentions the accident and note the fourth page below with photo with corresponding caption.

I presume that the event also received coverage in the Bulb Horn, the magazine Veteran Motor Car Club of America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

Erik,

Great pics and story. Thank you for posting,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

Erik

Thanks for taking the time to post the Model K Ford pictures and article.

I am especially interested to learn more about Elmer Bemis as he once owned the Model K touring car sitting my garage.

Cheers,

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

Back on March 20 Rob Heyen said he was going to tell us whether the car is a 1908 or not. Rob, could you please report the car is a 1908 or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

Royce,
Is this your method of "research." Going back over old threads to snipe.

Instead of trolling, why don't you enlighten us?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

I'm sure the headlight wouldn't have fallen off and the fender wouldn't have bent if it were a Pierce Arrow :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

Rob,

Everything I see on the car indicates it is a Model 6-40 Gentlemen's roadster from the 1908 Model Year catalogue. Do you have any information that contradicts this?

Far from being a "troll" - I respectfully post factual information without bias.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

- I respectfully post factual information without bias.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

OK then you agree with my observation. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

No I don't.

Regarding the Bemis Roadster, If I were to guess based on the reported engine number, I would say the Bemis Roadster was a 1908 model. However there appear to be some mixed parts on the car. Mr. Bemis referred to the car as a 1906, and there is record of one 1906 built Roadster, so it's difficult to say. Personally, I would defer to Mr. Bemis opinion without further information about the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

OK so the engine number and everything known about the appearance of the car is appropriate for a legitimate 1908 Model K Ford.

I think it is a case of the older - is - better philosophy often practiced by folks who are not as interested in history as they are in one upping someone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

I don't know why anyone would feel the need to pass judgement on another hobbyist who has been deceased for years, with no way to explain their reasoning. I guess when in doubt, assign the worst motives?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

Rob,

I don't pass judgment on Mr. Bemis by making a generalization. I have no idea why he was describing the car as a 1906 when in fact everything we can discern about it shows us that it is in fact a 1908 Model 6-40.

Perhaps he was just mistaken? Often well meaning people are mistaken. It doesn't mean they are bad, or evil, or mean. Just wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Y'know, I have found a means of increasing my enjoyment of the MTFCA "Forum," -- and that's by scanning the contributors under each heading, and if this Texan; "Royce" is listed as an participant, I skip over it, knowing that I'm avoiding a real pain in the rear end.
Honestly signed: Bob Robb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

Bob Robb: I've enjoyed Rob Heyen's factual half of the conversation too. Ignored the other half. 'Nuff said.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

Thanks to Eric for the historical article, and Tim, Dennis' & Rob's input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

I apologize to Erik, the originator of this thread. He began it with good intentions and the thread was progressing nicely until this afternoon.

One point, there is virtually no difference between the 1907 and 1908 Model K Roadster of "6-40." The only reason I think the car might be a 1908 is because another Model K owner said it may have a late 1907 to early 1908 motor. There is no other characteristic to identify it as an 07 or 08 that I'm aware of.

There was also at least one 1906 roadster built by Ford, according to a news report that I'm aware of. Why all this would mean anything to anyone now is beyond me, except maybe some sense of "one-upman ship."

I'm done with this thread. Royce, it's all yours, enjoy.

Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration