Wheel shims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wheel shims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Wondering who sells the shims used to tighten loose spokes used on a 21" wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:15 am:

If you feel you must,they can be cut out of pop cans, Best to rebuild a loose wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:55 am:

G'day
I would personally rebuild with new spokes. Much safer and cheaper in the long run.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:06 am:

DaveEddie;

I have hundreds and hundreds of them, built out of steel, don't use tin. If you are ever in Colorado I would donate enough to do your wheels. I understand that the ones I have were originally intended to be used as some kind of shim in more modern cars.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:53 am:

Old wood that's deteriorated enough to get loose isn't going to get any better with shims. I agree with Jack and Peter. New wood is the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:01 am:

I made a set out of valve spring shims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:19 am:

Very dangerous "Band-Aid" - best to re-spoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:31 am:

OH OH the sky is falling. Look out every one is going to die. New spokes are better, but lets not carried away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Better put your hard hat on, Dave.

Nobody drives their T at 20mph anymore - do you ? Common sense would dictate that if the spokes are loose enough to require shims, there is a problem or cause for them to have become loose - loose wheel = unsafe driving conditions.

What is your "peace of mind" worth ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

Tight is tite shimmed or not. I have three that are shimmed and have been for over 30k and still tight. I drive 30 to 35 as a stock T was designed to be driven. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

We're talking black era here. For a 1926 Ford you can buy all new spokes for five wheels for well under $400. Rewooding those wheels takes some work, but it ain't brain surgery. Most people can manage it.

Sure, when a wheel fails it may be no big deal. On the other hand it just may be a very big deal. Why risk it by riding on cobbled-up junk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

I love my junk! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 03:49 pm:

Good for you Keith,
I am weary of the grannys that make this such an issue...I have driven so many *loose* wheels without problem...eventually tightened them with shims. Got tired of the clacking noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

I'll side with Keith and Dave, to some extent. Just because spokes have shrunk a bit and are slightly loose, that's not a good reason to replace them. They can be shrunk a bit in length without being unsound (meaning soft, rotten, or punky). If the wood is still good and hard, those wheels are candidates for shimming.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration