Broken Crank Pic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Broken Crank Pic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 12:21 am:

I finally had a chance to post a pic of the crank that broke last November. Here is a link to the original thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/404531.html?1385686796

Dave Johnson, the guy who rebuilt the engine the 2nd time, said that a break in that spot is pretty common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:45 am:

That is where the crank broke when we were in Alaska.... Tough ride home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 07:41 am:

Mine broke in a different place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

THAT is why I don't want to go to Alaska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

Mine broke right in front of #4 rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Forgot,you can save your rear mainshaft and flange.Makes a wonderful lathe tool and can also be use to balance tranny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

I drive a lot in Alaska and have not had a crank break yet. knock on wood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Royce:

Your crankshaft looks to be the same "oval" design as the one that was in my car. Was yours in a rebuilt engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:28 am:

Jim,

That was in my '12. I had owned the car for about three days at that point, and drove it approximately one mile in January 2008 before the crank broke. The crank had a "DB" cartouche, meaning it was an original Dodge Brothers part typical of 1912 and previous Fords. Ford did not make crankshafts prior to about 1914.

Dodge Brothers metallurgy was not so good. Was the engine rebuilt? Almost certainly it had been rebuilt over the prior 96 years. It had aluminum 292 Ford Y block pistons and detachable ear bands so someone had certainly been inside at least once before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I don't think that's completely right Royce, about Ford not making the cranks before about 1914, or at least Ford played a major part in producing them. Although the Story of Ford Canada 1912 doesn't actually say that Ford did cast the cranks, they did every thing else, smiths rough-straightening Vanadium steel crankshafts, heat treatment and grinding them.
So we can't blame Dodge Brothers metallurgy, as quoted in the publication, 'Vanadium with the raw iron does not mean that the resulting product is real Ford vanadium steel, this is but the beginning, the metal must receive special, unique treatment in our own plant before it reaches the highest perfection. The crankshafts are, for instance, of Vanadium steel, but they must be specially treated in our own furnaces to give them the well known Ford toughness and elasticity'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Royce...wow, that sucks...only three days then bang! Sorry for the bad luck. I've had my '12 for just a little over a year, so far have put about 700 miles on it since I got it. I decided to stick a magnet stick down the spark plug hole the other day while cleaning plugs, discovered the pistons are aluminum. The previous owner didn't think anything had been done to the engine other than a valve job, he owned it for 25 years! So someone had to be in that engine, as I suspect it originally had C.I. pistons, right? I'm going to open up the inspection plate this spring, and look things over, where would I look for a similar "DB" mark if indeed mine has one. Hopefully it's been re-fitted with a better crank!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

The one that broke in my 1927 Tudor has Ford stamped on it and the letters AAXC. Anyone know what the letters stand for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Kerry,

I don't think Ford produced crankshafts until 1914 when they began to make them at the Highland Park Plant. Dodge Brothers was at that time producing Model T crankshafts at their Hamtramck, Michigan plant.

If you have any information to the contrary please provide it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

Dodge may well have been still casting the raw crank but Ford did every thing else buy this publication of late 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

Interesting article. Where are these furnaces and what is the date of the article?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration