Henry Ford on left hand steering, October 1908

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Henry Ford on left hand steering, October 1908
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:32 am:

I've heard several stories and theories about switching the steering column to the left side. Here's another one, by Henry Ford:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

How dare Henry defy our King!!!God Save The King!!!Rule Britannia!!! Thank God the British Commonwealth retained its sanity and remained loyal to the King and country!!!

For the record Edward VII was the first monarch to drive in automobiles, Daimler and Vauxhall were popular marques with the British Royal Family, but it was Daimler that were awarded a Royal Warrant in 1902.

I believe Daimler, or its modern derivative, still supply some cars for the Royal Family to use to this day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 06:13 pm:

would have been easier just to drive on the other side of the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Exactly Ken !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:12 am:

I didn't realize there were so many communist countries

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:19 am:

I thought they were Republican.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leigh Schubert on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:44 pm:

I had assumed that the reason the early cars in North America were right hand drive was that teamsters driving wagons etc sat on the right so that they could get out on the curb and also see where the ditch was when driving. The horses would avoid oncoming traffic so that side wasn't a great concern. I had no idea it related to foreign cars being right hand drive. When did Germany, France etc start to drive on the right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leigh Schubert on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

Ken, unfortunately with the EU and Obama you might not be all that far from the truth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 04:12 am:

Rob
Thank you for sharing this. It adds to my own research on the subject, the results of which will appear in the book. And, if the publisher rejects it (as the book is the New Zealand story and my LHD research relates to the global story), I'll float it here first.
Best wishes - John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration