Ruckstell Bearing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ruckstell Bearing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:33 am:

I ordered a new bearing from Snyders for a rebuild I am doing. The new bearing doesnt have "Thrust Here" stenciled on it like the old one I removed. I think the non-marked side is the side with the wider flange on the outer race. The thin outer race should be the side marked thrust here. Am I correct in my thinking? Photos showing bearing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Looks like you are correct. The thrust should be applied to the inner race of the bearing in the left photo.

You should be able to see the rollers/balls inside the bearing and make sure that they are in compression with a thrust load.

Jim

(Message edited by adminchris on April 10, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:20 am:

The way I think of it is the thrust is applied from two directions.

1. to the outer race from the ridge in the Ruckstell housing.

2. to the inner race from the the brass thrust plate.

From that perspective, its apparent the second photo shows where the outer race should ride against the ridge in the axle housing. Looks like the inner race can take thrust from either side, so its the outer race that tells the orientation of the bearing.

(Message edited by adminchris on April 10, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Outer race wide, side. Thrust here. Place bearing on P139 Bronze thrust plate with wide outer race facing up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Sunday, April 20, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Thank you Glenn and all

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration