Seat Kit Install

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Seat Kit Install
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

I've bought a Cartouche kit for my 1923 runabout, and I'm wondering how it's going to fit. I've done a good deal of the install according to the kit instructions, and the back looks good. I'm not sure about the corners where the back transitions to the armrests.

seatkit

If I keep working around pulling the material snug, the corners appear to have a lot of wrinkles in them. Does anybody have any words of wisdom? Perhaps a picture of their own kit install?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:09 pm:

You have to tuck material in under some to keep pleats straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Looks like you're doing a good job so far! When I installed the Cartouche kit in my 1923 touring/pickup conversion, I tore excess chunks of cotton from the upper part of the sides and stuffed the chunks further down, between the pleats to fill them out and puff up the wrinkles. Mine still came out less puffy than optimum, I should have gone to the craft store and bought more cotton or synthetic stuffing.

seat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Here's the Front Seat on my touring. It was a Classtique kit.

frontseat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

I guess some wrinkling is just par for the course. It's hard to tell in Bruce McCalley's book, but there doesn't look like a lot of wrinkling in the factory photos. Maybe it's just the material we're working with today, or the old photos are just fuzzy enough to smooth it all out. I'll try to get some pictures of it all finished and let you guys be the judges. Thanks for the input. If anybody else has some helpful tips, I'm willing to try just about anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:03 pm:

We use quilt stuffing and add some to the corners and top area.I fills it out better and gives it a more finished look.YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Jack, that seems to be the best option. I've still got scraps of stuffing from the seat base I've been transferring to the top of the seat back to get that rounded edge. There seems to be a large amount of carpet pad and polyester stuffing up around the armrests that will have to be trimmed. I'm sure I can relocate it if I try hard enough. I'm sure Henry Ford would approve of my resourcefulness. Waste not, want not. haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

When I did my seat I added padding like was suggested earlier. They don't supply enough to keep the seat tight. I used a big plastic serving spoon (like used for salads) and pushed the padding in tight up around the upper seat and arm rests. The salad spoon works great because when it is turned upside down the curve fits the pleats and won't tear the material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

Keep the backrest spring as low as possible, and use plenty of padding at the top, so the spring outline doesn't show. Is CarTouche using metal buttons?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:42 am:

I just put in a Cartouche kit, in a 1915, and the inside corners are a challenge for sure. As Larry mentions, use plenty of padding at the top, the excess cotton can be folded under to give a little better roll. I too added some stuffing in the corners, but still had issues with final result, although the owner is happy. A layer of jute and a little cotton padding doesn't add up to quality padding, to me....what was original in a T? Was horsehair used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

I had some extra stuffing I trimmed off the seat base, so I used it to help over-stuff the top of the seat back. I'll see what I can do about stuffing the arms. I may have to run to Walmart and buy some extra polyester stuffing before class. The directions say to put the spring very close to the top, which is actually fairly comfortable. I just need to add some extra stuffing below it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration