Front top straps. How do they attach?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front top straps. How do they attach?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

In a previous thread, Jack Daron was good enough to mention that the straps that attach the top to the windshield were installed incorrectly on my 1919 Runabout and he mentioned roughly how they should be. Rather than drive that thread off topic, I thought I would ask for more detail here. Pictured below is my incorrect setup as well as one of the now removed straps adjusted to it's shortest length which still seems too long. Jack mentioned factory holes in the front top bow. Those holes might be present under the vinyl wrap. More confusing is the drawing in the Mac's catalog of the Footman Loop. It shows machine screws instead of wood screws for attachment. This would suggest a machine thread in the front bow which seems unlikely to me. Could I please get a few opinions on this? It doesn't have to be perfect, just fairly correct from ten feet away will do. Thanks. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Dave-
I believe these correct for 1919:

: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Keith, I agree on that. What I have will be close enough if I can figure out exactly where and how the Footman Loops install and how to get the strap length right. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Here's they are on the passenger side of a 1920 touring:

Here is the driver's side a little closer:

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Dave, center of the bow just behind the curve there should be 2 holes in the metal where the screws for the footman loop attach. You might have a hard time feeling them through the covering. Looking at your picture of the bow there is a small bump in the general area where the holes are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

Originally they used about a #7 oval (french)head screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

I had a look at where the screws are supposed to go. I can see tacks and more vinyl but I can't tell if there are holes. I might have to leave it the way it is for a while. At least I now know how it should be. Thanks very much for the help. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

I believe Ford wrapped the front bow with top material all the way across, on the bias.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Does anyone know what those crimped-on metal caps (on the webbing) are called?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

They are commonly called belt tips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

These are my bows circa August 1920 with original materials. I took pictures before re wrapping for new top. Mine had the fabric on all bows except the front header bow had top material in the corners exactly as Keith's photos show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

The picture of front bow, didn't downsize photos enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 07:59 am:

Thanks John. I now see exactly where the loop goes. The screws are supposed to thread into the metal top irons right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Hi Dave,
I found that the screws go into the wood corner material. The holes in the metal bows are just clearance holes. Unless you size up to larger screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 10:19 am:

John-
Please explain what we are looking at on your last picture. I see the outside of the corner, and the tabs that hold the bent wood slats in place.

But what is the fabric I see? Is it the vinyl? The shiny side?

Dave,
The metal part on each side of the front bow will have clearance holes for the footman loop and the two common sense fasteners. They are all secured into the wood with oval head wood screws. The common sense fasteners I think use a #5 x 5/8", but they are hard to find. I think I used #6 and dressed the heads down a little, but don't tell anyone. For nickel plated fasteners I use stainless steel screws. I have found that plated brass screws will twist in two.

On the cars that require brass screws, I drill the hole first, use a stainless steel screw to form the threads in the wood, take out the stainless steel screw, and put the French (polished) head screw in place.

A French head screw is simply an oval head screw that has been polished.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Sundstrom on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Keith,
That fabric was applied (tacked) to to top of the bow corners to cover the wood and tabs prior to wrapping the bows with the fabric.
I just reused the old ones. Had to use repo strap brackets on the rear bow and used oval headed chrome wood screws.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration