OT Gas Headlamps: What did I buy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Gas Headlamps: What did I buy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

I bought these gas headlamps at an auction because I thought I'd use the burner assemblies and mirrors in Model T lamps. But, they are in such nice shape, I thought I better find out what they're from and see if I can find a proper home for them instead of parting them out.

They are larger than Model T lamps, but the burners and mirrors are the same as in my Jno. Brown lamps. The rims are 10"in diameter and are nickled; I believe that the chimneys are too, but they've been painted over. The lenses, which may or may not be original to the lamps, have a patent date of 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:38 am:

1917 would be very late for gas headlamps on a new car, so I think they're a few years older with accessory lenses added. Gas headlamps were used on motorcycles well into the 20's in Sweden, but not on new cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:21 am:

Trucks used gas headlamps well into the 1920's. I think they are for a circa 1920 truck of some sort.

Here's a 1917 White with similar lamps:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Roger, I agree. '17 does seem late for gas headlamps, but so do nickel rims. After all, Ford switched to electric lamps in '15.

Royce, you may be onto something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

Eric,
We owned a 13 Buick with nickel rim/painted body gas lamps. I'm not sure trucks would have had had brightwork with later lamps although anything's possible. Hopefully someone will identify a car/truck they were used with.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:36 am:

There were a lot of different lamps like that used in '13 and '14. The problem I have found in trying to identify them from pictures is that they all look so similar. Most of them have no name on them. Many times I have picked one up at a Swap meet because I thought it matched one at home only to find it was a little different.

You are lucky to have a matched set whatever they are.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Royce, The truck you show is an Autocar, I had a 1917 that looked just like that one. I still have a pair of "horns" I cast in aluminum to mount the gas lights to the nose of my old truck. Most of the autocar trucks of this vintage also had a center gas spot light mounted above and between the "headlights". Those trucks had magneto ignition with no electrics so used prestolite lamps for night use. This configuration was used into the 1920, as far as I know.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration