What the HUB - Difference

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What the HUB - Difference
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta on Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Why do these two hubs have two different thread counts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:19 am:

*Bump*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:29 am:

Let's see the rest of the hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Just a guess but hub a looks like an old truck hub I have around here somewhere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:57 am:

Anybody know what size these threads are, can a hub be re-died or just chased? Just curious...got a slightly stubborn one, don't know how much life will be left in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:06 am:

I think the hubcap thread is 2 1/8"-24, but often you don't need an expensive die, a thread file does the trick :-)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTA-Tools-8233-Thread-Restorer-File-SAE-/400536428416

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

B looks like the rear hub introduced in 1911 and used until the end of production in 1927. If A is a Ford hub, I gather it's a front one. If so, we need to see a lot more of it from both sides. Several different front hubs were used at different times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:35 am:

They both look like rear hubs to me. I have found similar differences in our Canadian sourced hubs, but have no idea when/why they were introduced.

I have machined damaged threads from type B hubs so there is less thread for the hubcap to bind on, so they end up looking like the type A hub.

Stevens make a hinged tool which will cleanup/cut new threads. Someone may be able to help out.

Hope this helps,

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:22 am:

I agree with G.R., hub B appears to be rear one for a TT. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Boy, was I confused! I never thought of TT. Here's a TT hub.

And here's the car hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

I have hubs with different thread counts. The ones that I have are for passenger cars and not trucks. I thought that it was because Ford used different suppliers for chassis parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

TT hubs threads are bigger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

John, I'm by far no expert, but as far as I know, all T hubs use the same threads for both front and rear, '09 through'27. If you have something different, it must be for something other than Ford. I could be wrong, I learn something new all of the time. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

The thread pitch for car hubs is 24, and for the TT hubs it's 16. I think a car hub with a pitch other than 24 is for some other car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:40 am:

Scott, you mention different thread counts. Are you counting the number of threads you see or are you counting the number of threads per inch? The threads you show appear the same to me. Each seems like the usual fine threads on T car hubs, Steve's 24 TPI.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:46 am:

I think he means counting the total number of threads which is less on the hub to the left.
Both would work fine I think and nothing will show with the hub cap in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Roger, look again. Hub B is much larger than hub A, it looks like a TT hub to me. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration