Poor man leakdown meter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Poor man leakdown meter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

How long will it take to deflate the balloon leak down ?

l

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

How many MPH?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Just hand crank to TDC on compression.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

If it were mine, not long. I have good compression but on compression with the plugs in I can hear the air leak past the pistons.
I really don't understand what the leak down test proves. If the pistons are cam ground and you have .003 clearance on the thrust sides doesn't that mean there is more clearance on the other sides? The top of pistons around the rings, is smaller then the rest of the piston and there are gaps in the rings, how does the air stay in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

Dean,

Interesting thread. This is what I found at Wikipedia (and what you explained to me before):

Thank you for the post,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

I just ordered one from Harbor Freight.
the real thing that is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:58 am:

80 psi is standard for aircraft engines where TDC is easily controlled by moving the propeller slightly. You don't have that control in a car engine, so I found that 20psi is better, as it won't spin the engine and all its accessories when it is a little off TDC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Got it. Didn't think about the valves or bubbles in the radiator.
That Yellow balloon reminds me of those toy cars that you inflated the balloon and the ran across the floor on jet power.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration