Steering arms

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering arms
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

I know the subject is steering arms but it also involves spindles also. Last week I was driving the truck up a small hill into the yard and the left wheel flew off. I immediately thought I broke the wheel spokes so, I got out and pulled the wheel from under the car. The wheel was fine but the spindle broke just outboard of the inner large bearing. No one I have talked to has ever heard of this so, it was a fluke. I called Bob Bergstadt and ordered a spindle for a 21 roadster. It came today and was I surprised when I inspected it and determined, it is a NOS never used spindle. I put the new bushings in and reamed them close and honed them to fit. I installed the new parts and hooked up the steering arm and set the car on the ground. After backing it up it looked like the toe in was about 2-3 inches toed in. It made skid marks while turning the front wheels just backing straight back. I let the car set for a couple of hours while we had supper and thought about it. I went back and looked it over and found the left spindle was different from the new one and the arm caused the wheels to be way out of alignment. I compared the left arm to the right and could see the difference. I found another arm in some junk front axle parts and installed it and all is right. My question is what year is the wrong one off of. It has a casting mark on of T270B. I looked in the encyclopedia and didn't find anything.

Any help out there? I can post some pics tomorrow of the spindles and the incorrect arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

If you have a copy of the Model T Service Bulletin Essentials, it show pictures of spurious parts that include spindles breaking at that point.
If you have left and right spindles, both for the same year range, then it could be the arms or just the fact it need to have the toe in set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 07:28 am:

A bit more investigation reveals that, there are different steering arms and spindles. As long as the arms are kept with their respective spindle, they work with a little adjustment to the toe in. If the arm is mixed with the wrong spindle, the result is a confusing misalignment of the front wheels especially, if you don't know there is a difference. The difference is suttle when the arms and spindles are in different places but obvious when in comparison on a work bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 07:32 am:

BTW Mark, I removed the tie rod at the arm on the left and the difference was 2 1/2" at the connection. There is absolutely not that much adjustment in the tie rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 08:52 am:

It would be interesting to see pics of the two arms. 2 1/2" is a lot of variance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Here are the pictures. The spindle with the steering arm hole parallel to the axle is the one for my car. The one with the offset hole is the one that was on the car. Obviously the one on the car was not correct since the other side was like the one I ordered. The ordered one is like the one on the right side of the car. The steering arm with the big bends in it was the one for the broken spindle and worked with it's respective spindle somewhat. It took some pretty good adjusting to get the car to drive correctly and the toe to be close after removing the wrong parts and replacing them with the correct ones. I just don't know what year the incorrect parts are for. 26/27?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

I have never seen nything like the one on the right in your first photo. At first glance I thought it was a "Rajo" offset spindle for track racers. But it is not made right. The second pic of the very offset bend to the spindle arm appears to have been heated and bent to compensate for the weird spindle. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Now, that is odd. Doesn't look like anything I've seen before. It looks like some sort of repair had been done on the incorrect spindle body. Did you make all those grinding and filing marks or were they there before? I agree with Donnie that the steering arm looks to have been heated and bent to correct the toe.

The way I see it, you have a wallhanger to use as a conversation piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

10-4 on the wallhanger. I have no idea how that spindle came to be that way, but agree with the others that the steering arm was bent to fit it. Spindles and arms are plentiful. Let me know if you need them; I have plenty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

The arm was not bent to fit this application, it is made that way. If you look close, it has a forging number right where the bend is and the numbers are very legible. If it was heated and bent, the numbers would be distorted. When the arm is used with the spindle with the offset hole it works the same as the other one with a little adjustment. The grinder marks are where I welded the spindle back together when it failed and broke right at the inner bearing race. I welded it back together so I could move it till I got the correct one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 05:29 am:

Spindles with an angled hole for the steering arm has been discussed before: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/310756.html?1347336296
Noone had any idea why it was made like that?

Charles Little's spindle is earlier than JM Rogers above since it has the full round shoulder at the inner bearing, so apparently spindles like that were made for several years?

bent spindle

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration