Need help with Windshield ID

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Need help with Windshield ID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

I have a 1914 T and am replacing the glass- this is my hinge on the windshield. Can someone help me identify the year of this particular windshield? Doesn't look like a '14 style. Plus, for anyone who has replaced glass- what do you recommend? Naturally safety glass, but besides that any details would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jimwind1wind2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

not ford !I have one like that. I saw one on a 1912 reo a long time ago.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Danged- I wonder if I can at least get the top up with this style windshield? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

James,
Did you just buy that 1914 touring in Waukegan this week? It looked like a nice car on Craigslist. If you are putting in new glass, you may want to find a proper 1914 windshield. I do not think that it would be that hard to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:06 am:

Jim,
Yes, I did- you called it. It did come with a 1914 windshield but it is fairly rusty and I have to determine if it'll handle the weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:07 am:

The 1914 windshield assembly is one of the most distinctive features of that model year. It is black painted with brass weather channel beading around the glass. The screw heads are also brass plated steel. The windshield folds to the rear, unlike the 1913 windshield.

I own an original 11 X 17 print of this photo. The negative is at the Henry Ford, along with several other shots of this same car from various angles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:33 am:

Thanks Royce, nice pic! This is the current condition of my 1914 windshield. This particular hinge has two open holes in it, am I missing a part? I will definitely try and clean it up today and see how it is underneath the age.1914 wind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

Royce, (and others) do the '14 windshields use the hooks to hold the roof straps down in the center of the hinge? In the pic above the hooks seem to be missing from the center screw.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

The tubular braces that are fastened to the body and extend up to support the windshield have two holes on the upper ends. The lower hole is fastened to that big screw in the center of the hinge, the top hole is for the top hold-down hook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:41 am:

You can see the top straps connected in this photo.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration