Seeing Customers In My Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Seeing Customers In My Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:02 am:

When I first started work (Jimmy Carter was in his first year as President), I drove my predecessor around in a '74 Impala four-door sedan to see our customers; I drove, he directed.

It seems that I've almost always been able to find somewhere again that I drove to originally; if I'm a passenger, no.

Now with a Garmin, Mapquest, and Google Maps, my sense of direction and homing-pigeon "gift" is obsolete.

I want to drive my T around to see customers. I enjoy telling them that as a pump salesman, my car doesn't have any.

Now, I use the Garmin to optimize driving time. Is there a way for the T to keep a Garmin or iPad charged? If not, does anyone know a long-term battery that would keep it working all day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:09 am:

I have to assume that any small 12 vt. battery, like a riding lawn mower has, would keep it going a heck of a long time. If your car has a battery I'm not sure about how hooking the GPS up to the basically un-regulated T system would affect it but there you go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:12 am:

This retailer is well known and has a good reputation. A few months ago, I bought an aftermarket replacement battery for my Mac for substantially less than I would have paid for an OEM battery at the Apple store.

Example of back-up/auxiliary Ipad batteries:

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/ipad+battery

Additional suggestions here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376682.html?1377481713

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Get one of those battery booster packs with a cigarette lighter outlet on it. Lasts more than a week, and you can use to to boost your regular car batteries

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

You can use your Garmin on 6 or 12 volt just make a lighter fitting from the parts store and the plug that came with the Garmin and it will work fine, i contacted Garmin a couple of years ago and they gave me that information.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

I charge my Garmin Nuvi on 6 volts all the time, seems to work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Yeah, hook you up a lighter plug to 6 volt battery source on car and you are good to go. It'll charge my phone no problem too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

I built at buck transformer to take the 6-8V of the model T and drop it to 5V USB. I can charge anything the uses a USB plug. Unless you look close, most people miss the USB plug mounted on the bottom of the dash in my '27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

Joe,

How?

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:06 am:

I've been using the 6v system in my cars for 5 years to keep my Garmin charged up. Same with the cellphone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

You may want to check with your insurance company so you are covered when using your Model T for business reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

You can charge an Apple IPhone on a 6 volt system. You should use a cheap charger for best results. Monoprice has car chargers that work fine. Don't use an Apple charger. Any analog charger will work. Apple chargers are switching style supplies. As said the bats are charged with 5.5 volts.

Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

Do you even need a transformer? I would think a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery would be simpler and it would work just as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

Should have said 5 volts.

No transformer.

Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Be SURE to use the plug that came with your device, they step the voltage down, someone posted that they wired it to 12 volts direct and fried the device.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 11:36 pm:

Bill Everett:

I am surprised that no one mentioned the little battery chargers that you can put in your shirt pocket. They come with a short cable that you use with the Garmin and the charger. They are no bigger than a small match box. I have two of them that I use with my Garmin. One is an Enercell and the other is a Mophie. I like the Enercell the best and it will keep my Garman going for days. In fact I have never run one down.

battery charger flat

battery charger side

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration