First Drive with Mixed Results

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: First Drive with Mixed Results
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 02:31 pm:

What I have: 1919 Speedster, 6v battery only, Texas T dizzy, no starter, Rajo head, Stromberg carb.

Took the Speedster out for its first "real" drive in 35 years. Got a few miles away, and all seemed to be going well. Just driving along a back-road in high gear, going maybe 35 mph. I noticed a few backfires, then shortly after it started missing; sounded like it was running on three cylinders. It didn't quit, but obviously wasn't right. A little concerned, I pulled in a driveway and turned around for home. A few hundred yards down the road, in high gear again, it cleared-up! Ran fine the rest of the way home; no misses, no backfires.

Points are gapped at .018" plugs are at .038" per rec from Texas T. I'm sure the carb needs some further adjusting also, but like I said, other than the few minutes during the drive, it ran quite well.

I never did like mysteries much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Good news for most of the drive anyway, it should be a real fun car. Your experience sounds a lot like some joy I've been having with a PV 544 Volvo I got for my wife. Runs great some of the time, like junk some times too. Has caused me to think unkind thoughts about SU carbs. The are coming off, getting a thorough cleaning and inspection today. I switched my 26 coupe over to an OF yesterday, a bit of adjustment and it is real happy. The NH that was on it liked to stick the float, not sure why yet. It has a Viton (sp?) tip needle and it all looks fine at first blush. Float level correct etc. Oh well, don't need it right away so won't worry about it until a few other things get finished.

I hope you sort out why it was unhappy for a while and come up with an easy fix. Have you checked the float level and made sure that it moves easily? Then again, I heard somewhere that more than 90% of all carburetor problems are electrical. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

Thanks for the encouragement, Walt. Up till now, just on short neighborhood runs, I've had no problems. Stan Howe recently cleaned-up the RF for me, so I'm sure it's in good working order, just needs some tweaking I think. Will take another test run to the gas station today. Gas in the tank has been there since December, which also may be a contributing factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Made a carb adjustment and drove to gas her up. All went well. No backfire, no misses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

It could've been just a bit of trash in the fuel line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

I would suggest possibly a drop of water in the fuel and it passed through. If a tank is emptied with high humidity the moisture in the air will condense in the tank, maby just a bubble but that is enough to cause your issue. Hopefully it has passed through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Possibly a sticky valve after 35 years. Oil the heck out of the overhead and run a little 2 cycle mix. Those overheads have no oil supply and you have to do it or the valves will not close when they should. I have had the same thing happen to me with a Fronty that sat for decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Thanks, all. Ran it again this evening, and no additional problems. I've been keeping the top oiled pretty well. How much 2 cycle oil in a full tank?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration