Bakersfield Musings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Bakersfield Musings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

I thought this years Bakersfield swap was a good one. Lots of early parts and perfect weather. Prices for some of the stuff was high retail to ridiculous, but there was plenty of good deals mixed in. There were many OHV set ups for sale, Rajo and Frontenac. I only went on Friday, so others can comment on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

This is my first Bakersfield meet and I thought it was great... long time since I've seen a meet with so much T stuff. I observed an unusual number of overheads(Rajos)a few Roofs, Frontenacs...prices going up. Lots of magnetos and drives as well as distributor front plates. Lots of Warfords, and aux. transmissions, etc. Never seen so much of this in one place. In general, just lots of T items...a great swap meet. Will go again next year with a bigger list and more funds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:00 pm:

There were also many Ruckstells for sale. I saw a 1909 for $18000 which looked good, but not completely restored. I don't know whether it is completely authentic, because, I am not an expert on the earlier models. There was a very nice centerdoor for sale and several tourings of various years for sale. Dolores won't park her car outside, so I don't have room for another unless I leave it outside. I can always get another Model T, but I don't think I could find a better wife than her, and we have been together 56 years.
Norm
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

Wise choice Norm, I've had my Rosemary for 44 years and I haven't seen a T or anything else I liked better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Cindy & I had a great time all week on the Grizzly Bear tour and then the Bakersfield tour and swap meet, Our 15 Touring performed well and we have loaded it on the trailer for the trip home. We found some needed items for Cindy's new 27 Coupe as well as some hats for me. This was our first trip to these events. We will be back! My phone and email are maxed out so photos will have to wait until next week:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:48 am:

Yes, great meet. The vendor spaces seemed pretty much full, but it seemed to me that the shoppers weren't as numerous as in previous years. We'll have to let the vendors chime in on that subject.

I was looking for early Schrader valve stem caps, so I had printed out a picture of what they looked like. First booth I hit and showed off my picture, the guy said, "Oh, you're the one who was asking about Schrader caps on the Forum ? I saw your post." I confirmed and he pulled out a little plastic bag with 19 of those little babies. Bought them all and could have used one more. Thank you, sir, and thanks to the Forum. I apologize for not getting your name.

I had written down a few space numbers and people's names in hopes of meeting some forum members face to face. Somehow, every person I'd hope to meet was away from his post when I came by. Maybe we should all have name tags - big ones for old eyes.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:05 am:

One more comment on Bakersfield. I met up with an old friend on Thursday afternoon before the gates opened. The friend had grown up in town. Nothing would do but we had to go to Dewar's candy store and ice cream parlor.

The milk shake was fabulous. But I've never been so maxed out on calories in my life. No appetite for dinner, went to sleep early, and still wasn't hungry the next morning.

If you haven't been to Dewar's, you gotta try it once. I don't know if I'll be fully recovered by next year, but I hope so.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:28 am:

I was busy selling mostly non T early car parts including Magnetos for a Widow of a good past friend and did not get to do much looking around. Sold out most everything including 10 Magnetos.....if items were priced low....people bought.
A Gal who was digging in a box of rust items pulled out a throttle linkage with swivel ends. She said that it was needed for an early T project. She asked how much did I want for it? I asked her if she could smile....she smiled and I told her it was hers. She responded with a big smile....how much for the rust?....I said it was free! She replied... "It was her best deal of the swap meet".
I had just sold 10 Magnetos as a lot before she walked up and was very happy not having to drag them back home (Magnetos Are Heavy). Every one enjoys a good deal...it's a great feeling to seeing some one leave so happy. My wife who was watching was also smiling.
I plan on being in the same spaces O & P next year and hope to do a better job getting around to others that posted their space's on the forum.
Did talk to several who had attended the Chickasha meet that said Bakersfield had more cars and early items. I thought the turnout was good....a lot of buyers at my spaces, however what I was selling was priced to sell. The Widow wanted everything sold and that's what happened.

Gas in Calif. is over $4.00 a gal. which is not helping bring in both sellers or buyers. Filled up our motor home at Costco at $3.99/gal. on our return.....took most of $200.00 to fill it. That Hurts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:57 am:

I talked Greg Griffin into driving us up there Thurs. afternoon and back Fri. afternoon. We hauled some of the leftovers from my garage sale, and Tom LeRoux hauled the rest, and put them in his space. At least half of it went.

Got to see a lot of old friends and meet new ones. Wayne Sheldon even pushed me around some, as did Greg and a couple of others. Sorry I missed you, Eric. Ran into a couple of guys from the early Forum: Tom Osborn and Mike Pensarini.

Thanks guys.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:00 am:

Where are the pictures???

: ^ )

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration