What kind of bearing does my TT use for the driveshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What kind of bearing does my TT use for the driveshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark McWethy on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Hi Guys. I have another question to ask, I hope I can get some help. I have a 1926 TT. I have the rear end out as of now and have noticed that the shaft behind the u-joint has quite a bit of play. I have been getting some mid-range vibration when driving. I am guessing that the play is the cause. If I am right, do I have a bushing in the tube that needs replaced or do I need to replace the ball-cap with a babbit bearing? I thought I knew and was getting to order a rebuilt ball-cap when I saw a tube bushing and tools in my catalog. Now I am confused, Please help.
Many thanks in advance, Mark McWethy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

It sounds like you need to replace the front drive shaft bushing. If I remember correctly (could be wrong) that part is the same on a T and a TT. It's part No. T2581 and can be obtained from several of the vendors.

I didn't need to change mine, so I've never done it, but it seems to me that it requires some reaming. Hopefully someone else here will chime in with installation information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

TT driveshaft bushing is larger than the car bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

Mark, I don't know for sure now, but at one time Chafin's had that bearing for the TT. They were made from bronze as I recall. That was several years ago, but I'd bet they still have them. At that time, they were the only vendor that I could find that had them. Others may have them now. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

I changed the bushing on one of my TT's. If I can do it, you can do it. I read the book on it but that project was awhile back and I can't recall where I read it. I also added a Rocky Mt. tranny at the same time and eliminated the nasty vibration. The TT driveshaft by itself is plenty long and prone to vibration if everything isn't just right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

This is interesting to me. As I said above, I didn't need to change the front drive shaft bushing on my TT, so I didn't learn this the hard way.

I have a copy of the TT parts book (TT1). It was always my belief that all parts for a TT that are not the same as T parts were listed. Obviously, based on what I've learned in this thread, that's not true. There is no front drive shaft bushing listed, which caused me to believe it would be the same part as a regular T.

I wonder what other "gaps" exist. How would one find the TT bushing part number? Could it be that at originally the bushing was provided as a part of the shaft or as a part of the tube (this dosen't make a lot of sense to me as you could easily just need the bushing)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

It could be the bushing, but I would think it could be the driveshaft itself, especially if it is full length; in other words not shortened for a Warford or the like. On one of ours the driveshaft needed to be machined the full length because either it was machined wrong from Ford or had worn unevenly in the bushing; even after I had replaced and fitted the front bushing it still did it. Machining it took care of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

You could get one made using bronze bushing stock then use thrust washers to set end play. I did one for a car doing that. The drive shaft cleaned up under standard. I used steel and bronze thrust washers to set the end play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:27 pm:

TT d.s. bushings have no thrust end - straight bushing because of the worm drive.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration