OT packing tools to move

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT packing tools to move
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:08 am:

Unexpectedly this past week we bought a newer house will lots more space, and now we can keep the T at home all year (trying to keep it T related). I have lots of tools with many duplicates. I have one small rolling toolbox I keep in the garage, but most of the tools are in the basement shop. Currently most of the hand tools hang on peg board (150sqft). Plus lots of drawers and other cabinets. My basement shop is about 200 soft and stuffed, and had been thinking for a while I need to clean out,get rid of stuff, but have never been able to really let to much go. PS I am not a pack rat until it comes to tools.

I am thinking I will put a small amount of necessary tools in the small rolling toolbox to fix things up in the new place. The new place has a spot for a shop, but it is a blank as slate. I expect it maybe a few months or a winter project to setup the shop.

anyone have recommendations on the best practice to pack a workshop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:28 am:

Sounds unexpected as you said so you're in a bit of a bind time wise. I can tell you this: you're the only one who knows what's useable and valuable so be careful when "losing" stuff. Mark all your boxes when packing so you know what they contain. (VERY helpful). And keep them small. In other words portable. Huge crates of loose stuff are trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:32 am:

The first thing I did was take a picture of my "tool walls"...I prefer to have most of my tools hanging on pegboard walls, categorized to their use, i.e. carpentry, plumbing related, elec. etc. Then I packed them in the boxes that schools buy their reams of paper in. Perfect size, they don't get too heavy, and any local school should have plenty of empty's they'd be glad to get rid of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:42 am:

Jason,
Is the "spot for a shop" just a piece of level ground, pole barn, metal bldg., or what?Before it gets filled up, if there's already a bldg ,I'd check my electricity availability and see if you have the correct voltage and locations for welders, air compressors, and anything else you have or plan to have someday. If it's a spot for a shop, you need to do lots of planning before you do anything. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Last summer, I found that once you put the for sale sign in front of your house, many of your tools will disappear on their own; no need to pack them. I'm not sure that I'll ever get over the bad feeling that my toolbox full of Model T specialty tools probably ended up in a scrap heap because somebody who wasn't raised right found that he couldn't sell them for drug money. :-(

Seriously, get them all packed up and off the premises before your first showing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

Eric gives good advice. What he said goes for any valuables that you want to keep. Also, if there's anything fastened to the building (fan, air compressor, whatever) and it's not included with the house be sure to put a "NOT INCLUDED IN SALE" or similar sign on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 02:59 pm:

Our current house is not for sale yet, and expect to own two house for a while. We are busy packing to get ready for some cosmetic repairs to make it easier to sell. My plan is to pack up most of my tools except for some cheap stuff that I can use to fix this house up as needed. Everything we are packing will be placed in secured storage, so it is out of our place. So once the tools are packed i will not i hope i do not need anything. If i do the in-laws are close and have every tool known to man. I have two good options for a shop at the new place. The house has two garages, so I might use the smaller garage. Or I might use the second floor of the large garage, for my primary shop, and keep a few things on the main level,with the rolling toolbox. As for power the large garage is wired to the "T" (pun intended). The smaller garage does not have power (yet).

It seams like packing tools will be a pain, as the boxes could get heavy quickly, the boxes will be a conglomerate mess, and you cannot file them full,so stacking them could bean issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

If someone else is doing the moving, I wouldn't mark the boxes as "tools" or even "garage". Mark them with your own code or just a number. Keep the box weight manageable and spread/mix heavy items with some bulky items. There's nothing more tempting to a mover than a heavy box marked "tools".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 10:30 pm:

I wish someone else was doing the moving. In the past I have marked the boxes with a code. I have lots of time to move. So so we are going to do it ourselves as we are only moving 4 blocks. My place is not on the market, and I would like to have it ready in about 2-3 weeks, which will closing time our current place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 02:51 am:

Heck Jason, if it's only 4 blocks, you can make the move with a wheelbarrow. <grin>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:24 am:

Warren,

I'm sure he wanted to use the wheelbarrow but probably was afraid that he would load too much stuff in it and it would be too hard for his wife to push! :-)

Right after WWII my parents built a home about two block from a rental home they were in. Being very short of funds they used my brothers small red wagon to pull most of their belongings down the street. The wheels gave out when they loaded the ice box on it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:02 am:

Jason if your tools will be packed away for any length of time treat them like firearms ..a light coat of oil and wrapped individually in rags nothing like seeing rust where it don't belong after a move

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 12:15 am:

Dennis I do have an old fashion ice box I will be moving. I do like the idea of a little oil, as I expect it will be fall before I unpack most of them.

Warren, can I barrow your wheelbarrow? I do have a spare The engine mounted on an appliance dolly that I was thing about pushing over, as I do not have an engine lift.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration