Top material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Top material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:17 am:

would like opinions on what top material to use on my 1911 touring. i have a swatch from a kit supplier, but it seems somewhat thin. not sure of the weight of the original material. would haartz cloth be over kill? the top on the car has a heavier material with what seems like a canvas backing. unfortunately, they made the top incorrect and needs to be replaced. i will have side curtains made also. thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:26 am:

You can get correct original style Ford grain material. Use that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Stu-
I believe Haartz replicates the original material, Colonial grain. It also goes by the name Bison grain. The Bison name came from British use, while Colonial grain was the North American name.

The fabric is a two ply composite made of a black PVC outer layer and a black dyed 100% cotton sateen lining.

It should be carried, or easily ordered, by your favorite upholstery supply shop.

: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

thanks all for the input....i had received a swatch from classtique, but it is considerably thinner than what someone had used on the car previously, it made me wonder what is correct. same material, just a lot heavier. however i found an original set of 1915 touring and a set roadster side curtains, and they seem to be of the thinner material. so perhaps all will be well with the thinner material.

cheers

stu clipson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

a little ot here, but the later fords, like the 17 rip van winkle had white, or light tan on the inside. my 19 touring i think was restored in the early 60's, and it too has the light colored inside. does any one make that today? seems all i see is all black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

clayton....

the original roadster curtains that i have that are believed to be for 1915 thru 1917 are black on the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

He is asking about the top lining not side curtains. I don't know. Good question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

The original side curtains and top on my '17 were black cloth inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:41 am:

The material made by Haartz is called Turf Grain. I don't know why Langs and Macs call it Colonial Grain, which is what the old stuff was called before we got Haartz to make the Turf. It is as close to original as you will find. It is what Classtique uses.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration