Model T Battery Cables

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T Battery Cables
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 11:39 am:

When I was doing my 1917 Maxwell Chassis I ordered 2 sets of Model T Battery cables from Mac's and they worked fine. Now that I have my new open express body found on this forum I find I need to get more cables so I can put 2 master disconnect switches so I can safely store the twin batteries now hidden by the body. Does anyone know the gauge cable that Mac's sells and where I can get a good price on custom length cloth covered 6 volt cables?
Thanks,
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

I would try Rhode Island Wiring Service. www.riwire.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

also try RJ&L AUTOMOTIVE FASTENERS & VINTAGE WIRING SUPPLIES www.rjlautofasteners.com they make the wires for Langs.. They use 1/0 gauge cotton covered the which is best for 6 volt systems and they can make up any size 1 day turnaround time.

Mac's uses 2 gauge which is very light for the application

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Just go to your nearest welding supply store and buy one gauge welding cable. Not cloth covered though.
The terminals you should get from an auto supply store. You may have to order the one gage terminals though.
Welding cable ends are expensive and don't look right so get auto terminals and solder them on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Robert says zero gage, I think it is 1 gage but he may be right. One gauge is usually used on early Fords until they went to 12 volt.
The smaller the number the bigger the cables are.
I would use 1/0 or even 2/0 (00?) if the battery is way in the back of the car.
1/0 is pronounced one ought.
2/0 is called two ought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

Arron.
1 gauge is standard for 6 volt
0 gauge is better
00 is kinda overkill.
RJ has over 500' of the braided cotton covered battery cable and hardly sells it, unless you are running and very long cable.

Rj's sells the cables for
1gauge for $8/ft
0 gauge $9/ft
00 gauge $10/ft
battery terminals $8.00 tin coated brass
Cable lugs $1.50 ea tin coated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

You can buy the cloth cover from the parts venders.
http://www.modeltford.com/item/5051B.aspx
Call Lang's or Snyder's, they or others may have it by the foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

if you live out near a farming community every tractor dealership makes custom cables in whatever size and length you need. nice high quality stuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Guys... Howard is asking for braided on cotton covered not the plain stuff from the tractor supply or welding cables with no covering.. or the asphalt loom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 01:57 pm:

Thanks guys, I'll call Monday and order. Robert, I checked their catalog and they have exactly what I need ready made so no custom added cost, Great! Appreciate the help.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Dennis
Original Model T battery cables (battery to switch and switch to starting motor) were 1/0 gauge.
If you have custom cables made do not use crimped ends. The terminal end lugs should be silver soldered by someone who knows how to properly do that.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Ron, what do you think about 2/0 gauge cables thanks Spencer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

How'd "Henry" attach the lugs to the "original Model T battery cables"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

I look at it this way...

The difference in gauge size can't be seen by eye...the difference in voltage drop between the gauges can be however H-U-G-E...and a worn in/shaft bent normal Model T starter with much more than a sneeze of voltage drop just wants to gasp looking for its' inhaler all the time anyway...so spend the buck a foot more or so and the 2 bucks per end fitting more and go with the 2/0 (00) gauge....polish all of the connection points up and even use contact de-ox on the connections...make sure they are tight but be very careful with the starter stud...and you be good to go! Don't forget the ground strap being clean and tight also.

Others may disagree, but while you are getting new cables in place, pop open the starter switch and take a look...now is the time...it cleans up easy...and if you pay attention and use a little heat the housing tabs don't break off...

When all done you can take voltage readings at various points and write them down for future reference.

Harold...from the ones I have seen, they appear to be molded in place. Do the newer way with the lead solder slugs and they look exactly the same way when done.

Is this perhaps over-kill? Maybe, but betcha you won't need to worry about it again for the rest of your stewardship! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:26 am:

George:

Well said.

I added a 2/0 ground cable from starter mounting screw to neg. battery. Insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

I didn't make this chart up. It is a national standard.

Given that the initial starter draw is close to 400 Amps, what size cable do you wish to use?

Wire Gauge Diameter Inches Ohms Per 1000 Feet Max Amps
2/0 or 00 0.3648 0.0779 283
1/0 or 0 0.3249 0.0983 245
1 0.2893 0.1239 211
2 0.2576 0.1563 181

The program removes the spaces for some reason.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration