Anyone read T Model Tommy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Anyone read T Model Tommy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 02:36 am:

Is it any good? For kids?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 09:22 am:

I read it years ago as kid, in the early 1950's. Still remember the story, so it definitely left an impression.
As I "remember" it's about a youth starting a business with a TT truck.
It would help if the reader already knew what a TT and AA were and of course there is no reference to any thing electronic. Reading the book now could be a good history lesson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gillette on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Read it as a young boy in the 1950's inspired by my Dad's newly acquired 1915 T. As Don says, it's the story of a young boy starting his own business selling fresh picked wild blueberries using a model TT truck. Years later a friend, a clinical psychologist, asked me what was the first book you remember reading--not the first book you read but the first book you remember reading. When I told him T Model Tommy he laughed and said I guess that works. There's a theory that the first book you remember reading plays a large part of what you become in life. I didn't pick blueberries, but I did own my own business and 65 years later, I'm still driving Dad's model T, as well as others acquired along the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

Guys, that is really neat. Even if it is mostly a kid book, I may have to get it now after hearing your fond remembrances of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Sounds like a great one to read to the grand-kids, whenever that happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay F. Cramer on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

If I remember correctly, Stephen Meader was also the author of a book titled "Bulldozer" about a couple of guys who dragged a D2 Cat out of a pond where it had been sitting for several years. They revived it and went into the excavating business. It was another story for those of us destined to mess about with old iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 10:12 am:

I think I may have read "Bulldozer" also, but it didn't leave near the impression as "T Model Tommy". I still remember giving an oral book report about it in school. I think I talked for a long time and that's not like me.

'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Another good one is Farewell To Model T. Short read, but excellent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

Stephen Meader wrote stories for boys from the 1930's to the '60's. I have all of them some 1st editions and some signed by the author. They are great stories covering all kinds of americana. T Model Tommy, Bulldozer, Lumberjack etc all will capture your imagination. I read them myself ( and still do )read them to my son and read them to my grand nephews. Originals are quite hard to find and expensive. Most all are available as re-prints If you have grand children, steal their electronic mind wasters and sit down with a Meader book and see how they respond.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration