Olympic tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Olympic tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Set of 2 new Olympic 30x 3-1/2 tires, (made in Australia) they were bought new way back when and mounted on a project, but never saw any road time. They have checking and cracking on the sidewalls, but are still soft and usable.
100.00 for the pair.

farmplow@hotmail.com , pick up only Los Angeles area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

Ed, I wish they were here where they began life. In the early 1970's anyone who had the funds put away a set or two of Olympic 30 x 3.5" tyres, as they were stopping production. They are the best. I have used them almost exclusively on my T's and have had the best mileage out of them. There are two on my roadster buckboard which has travelled some 30000 miles which need replacing. The ones on the back are still 40%.

You might advise the buyer to stretch them over a modern tyre/rim combination prior to fitting, as there is a chance they will have shrunk a bit, but they will give excellent service.

Sorry, just re-read your post. As they have been mounted, they should go straight back on without the stretching.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

Alan, they could be going on 45 to 50 years old and as he said they are cracked on the walls and you would use them on a running vehicle?, they have been sitting that long that you would have no idea what has happened to the rubber compound with age and cracking means the the rubber has gone off and is shrinking to cause cracks or do you have a death wish or just dont care if they give out as the heat would build up while driving along and kill or maim a member of your family when they blow.I have been in a T with a blow out and its not fun when you have no control at 40mph so I stopped using NOS tyres. I still have some here which I only use for show displays...
Sorry to the seller but I would not use them on a running car, great for a display or show item... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

Allan if you do want to buy them I will bring them out at a good freight price for you as we ship from long beach every month or so by container.... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:05 am:

"Made in Australia", you don't hear that much any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:06 am:

I'm still running the Dunlops that preceded the Olympics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Safety first but, as an aside, I am running some "made in Australia" Firestone 21s that were made perhaps in the 70s? Still going strong and in good shape. Assume they were made in the same facility? Same rubber compound? Anyone know about the Australia tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

David, I bought new old stock Dunlops in 1990 for the chocolate van. After 32000km of city driving, they are still better than 40%. They were available concurrently with the Olympics, but did go off the market prior to the Olympics.

Ed mentions checking on the ones he has. If that means there is light marking on the surface, those tyres are a steal. Cracking, like you get if the tyre is left flat with a load on it due to perishing, is a safety problem.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Allan, you and I have the same opinion. Safety does come first, but the old "Diamond" pattern Goodyear, block tread Dunlop and the Olympic are still great Australian made 23" tyres. I have sourced 2x NOS Dunlops for our car when finally they will be needed. So far mine have done years of magical service, similar to yours.

Where has the quality gone? Yeah, that's right, it is called globalisation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 01:15 am:

G'day,

Two Olympic and two Goodyear on my '23, no signs of perishing, soft and plenty of miles left. All made in Australia.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:51 am:

I must also add the original New Zealand made Firestone are a good tyre too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:56 am:

I David, I am tired of working on my Anzac day paper work for the big display so I came for a quick look, the moulds for the old Australian tyres left here and went to New Zealand before being purchased by Lucas engineering and thats the last time any one saw them, from what I have heard they are with Coker now the same as the Betco moulds.
I change all of my tyres every 10 or 12 years no matter how good or worn they look as I like living and I drive fast as Peter above can tell you.
After we came home from that Alice trip I changed the tyres and fitted new T Drivers and the others are up in the tyre rack as I kept them as they were the first new tyres on my car..
In a discussion today with another club inspector he was saying that he is now really checking the tyres for any cracks or even small splits in between the tread as he is signing the report and if there is any thing he dose not like he rejects the car.. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

Of course Ray, safety must always come first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 04:34 am:

I have to agree with Allan and David these tires are far superior to ones available today. Given a choice i would fit these tires instead of any of the new ones available.

has anyone heard of failures with tires due to minor cracking and checking?? The weak part of Model T tires is usually the tube ( all the blowouts I've had were) if you get a flat its from a tube failing due to being punctured or just failing one repairs the tube or replaces it and on goes the same tire.

Model T tires don't generate any great amount of heat if fully inflated and driven at normal T speed. I have seen reports of old tires being used on later vehicles failing due to high speed driving but a tire with small cracks as described by Ed are a long way from being dangerous.

Want to talk cracked and split side walls then look at the new ones being offered. I ended up with one when driving to Richmond. One tire developed a split a good 3" long and several smaller ones which under 60psi opened up 1/8". several T owners had similar problems before and during the 2008 Tour, Plus the fact they were worn out in 3000 miles.

For the possibility of being able to get mileages like Allan, 30,000 plus these tires are worth purchasing, I don't have a cracked side wall tire to check out but I think examination would show the cracks/checks are only on the surface and are due to the exposure to the air and sunlight and don't effect the tires performance.

We maybe should refrain from creating a problem which for owners by speculation on a theory which up to now does not appear to exist.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration