UP Releases Schedule For BigBoy 4014 Trip.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: UP Releases Schedule For BigBoy 4014 Trip.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

For all of you watching Union Pacific's restoration of the Big Boy 4014 locomotive, a brand new schedule has just been released.

It's short notice for all of us wanting to see this Titian of the Wasatch as it travels from So California to Cheyenne Wyoming.
UP says it will leave Colton CA on the 28th of this month.
Enjoy

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtmlloc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Fred:
Thanks for posting, but do you think they could swing by Abilene Texas for a viewing?:-) Have enjoyed all the other videos of the move, and will be looking forward to others when posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

My goodness she must have been in good shape. After being on static display all that time. How long has it been in the shops? 4-5 months. Amazing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Fred,

Thanks for the updates. I find this whole project incredibly interesting and am actually amazed that U.P. is even taking it on. So few companies are willing to invest anything in the appreciation of their own history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

If you haven't seen it before, you may find the Age of Steam website interesting. Thought the website pointedly urges the public to stay away, the fourth stated goal gives reason to hope that the roundhouse may someday be open for visits.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

It hasn't been in the shop yet. It's still in CA and the shop is in Wyoming. Restoration is to take 3 to 5 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

Back in 2004 I stopped at the roundhouse in Cheyenne Wy. and met Mr Lee and the steam crew
and was allowed to crawl over the challenger that was being repaired. I would love to go back again
to see the Big Boy. But I've heard that because of insurance it is no longer open to the public.
Times have changed. Harold could possible be able to get in though.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

My grandson climbed into the cab of UP 844 last summer while it was on display in Fort Worth, Texas as part of its cross country tour. Others might have been able to but we were the only ones who asked. We did have to go buy a pair of long pants as short pants were not allowed,

It never hurts to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

The Steam Railroad Institute in Owosso Michigan is having a huge steam train/antique airplane/car show this summer. The institute is a great group and recently rebuilt the Polar Express steam locomotive. I attended their function 5 years ago and was impressed. This year's show will be bigger and better.
Google Steam Railroad Institute Owosso
jon crane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

The Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Michigan is hosting the huge Train Expo 2014. June 20 - 22.
See a recreation of Lincoln's funeral train, the B-17 Flying Lady and Owosso's own Pere Marquette 1225 which was used in the animated movie North Pole Express with Tom Hanks. And several other steam locos.
Antique car show with Model A Fords from Gilmore Car museum.
Take a ride in a P51-C Mustang of the Tuskegee Airmen.

http://michigansteamtrain.com/expo-2014/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

William,

Thank you for the clarification. That makes much more sense. I was confused with the link that said "Steam schedule" I thought it implied that was live under its own power.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

There are several videos of the Pere Marquette 1225 running on youtube

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BhZW_pW5WPE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

The schedule was posted so those die hard steam fans can be apprised of when it is on it's journey to the Cheyenne Roundhouse. People will be chasing it during it's trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Looks like ol' "Big Boy" could use a steam locomotive bell. I have one for sale. Its the largest ever made - according to Brossamer's Bells in Michigan. They sell their 16" diameter at the bell base for $3500-$4300. My 17" diameter is only $2500. Comes with the yoke and clapper. There; I've said it. Have never done anything so unabashedly promoting on this Forum before.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration