Tail and brake lamps on a '24 Tudor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tail and brake lamps on a '24 Tudor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

I have a 1924 Tudor with a lamp socket on top of the left rear fender but no lamp housing? What does the housing look like for this lamp and could it be a brake lamp? There is a brake setup that is connected to the transmission brake pedal but the wire is burnt and not connected to anything. I have seen no pictures of a tail lamp on any T's in any books on the left rear fenders. In the Ford parts list it shows a 7669-X which may be the one. Any opinions?
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

A lamp on top of the left rear fender could have been a parking light. In some states there was a legal demand for such a light when parking in town streets. The're often seen in Shorpy pictures since Washington DC had such a demand in the 20's & many Shorpy pictures are from that city.

http://www.junipergallery.com/vintage_car_photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Aftermarket parking lamps, mounted on left rear fender top, to meet many local laws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Thank you Dan, my vehicle is from Illinois and I don't know what the laws were back there. The photos will be helpful in finding what I need. This has been a great help.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Rich...

I was going to comment earlier but wanted to search for a pic that I can not find...

I do believe that Chicago city code required a 'standing' lamp on the left rear fender. I have never confirmed that, simply that was the answer I received 35 years ago when I asked about my '25 and was still living in Cook Cty. IL.

My '25 Fordor stayed regular registered at least until 1960 in the City of Chicago as it has the registration stickers in the window that I can't bring myself to scrape off.

I'm not sure if it mattered at all but the style of lamp on the fender of my '25 is the one labeled Frisco in Dan's advert above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 14, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

Richard

If you can post a picture of the 'socket' remaining on your fender, that could help i.d. the body.

Center is the popular K-D used up into the '30's.
On left is a fancy "Tiffany", but missing the special mount base to the fender.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration