Anti theft device for Model T Ford does any one know

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Anti theft device for Model T Ford does any one know
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

I just got this nice anti theft device for the Model T Ford
it goes around the pedals but no information
has FORD stamped in the piece, does any one have any idea on how to hook this up with chains and hasp. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

That is a really neat piece. I too hope someone has a pic installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

I would think it fits over the pedals some how....?
And the hoop part of the hasp mounts to the floor boards.
Not sure how the chain and hooks come into play.
Easy to check, take it and see if it fits over the pedals in your T then let us know... Next thing is it for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

This is so cool, but no idea about chains, there is a small steel block riveted to the underside which fits in the floor board slot, the hasp comes through the bottom but no idea on chains, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

That would be very simple to reproduce, just trace a pattern have them water-jet cut out of sheet steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

Looks relatively easy to make. I might try and design one just for giggles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 03:55 pm:

I don't see the relevance of the chain. Hasp screws onto floorboard, plate sits on top and you can see how it would stop the clutch from moving forward or back, and the reverse and brake can't move forward. There seem to be 2 rivets on the left, is there something underneath which hooks into the floorboard to make it more difficult to wrench off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 04:00 pm:

No that is a steel block that fits in the floor board slot, another new item coming soon, Bob
See last picture for block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 04:10 pm:

I doubt the chain goes to the devise unless it's used for storage or an un-original addition--Perhaps to wrap through the steering wheel or secure the floorboards. The chain looks like it came from a child's swing set. You can cut that with a pair of dikes.

I do like the idea and design though. Easy to make too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

Maybe the chain secures that top floorboard so that it cannot be simply lifted off with the "lock".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Just wondering if its a "real" accessory that was made in the T days or if its a one of a kind that someone made up years ago.

The Ford logo looks like it was stamped by hand.
Maybe its the real thing. Neat way to lock up a T though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

In Google books, if you search the following, you will see similar period accessories:

Ford "pedal lock"
http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+%22pedal+lock%22&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

This one is nearly identical - click on this link - it is on the lower right hand side of the page so you may need to scroll down a bit.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fvQiAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA853&dq=ford+%22pedal+lock%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Aq9NU-mwIYqQyAT37oGQDw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwAzgU#v=onepage&q=ford%20%22pedal%20lock%22&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 02:32 am:

Thanks for sharing the pictures Bob, That's all I could figure it was for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 07:34 am:

Could the chain merely be an addition someone used to mount somewhere near the column to hold the padlock when not in use? The chain itself doesn't look strong enough to really secure much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 07:34 am:

This would prevent the car from being driven, but it still could be pushed and steered Do you suppose that the chain was added as an additional form of security to pull the brake lever forward to engage the brake so the car could not be pushed? The eyebolt at the one end of the chain could be secured to the floor above the brake and the chain could be pulled tight, pulling the brake lever forward, and then a chain link on the other end secured by the lock hasp. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:13 am:

The chain wouldn't secure anything. All you have to do is back off the thumb screws to remove the chain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:06 am:

I'm not sure the chain does much. I do like the pedal lock idea though. Between that and the new crank holding license plate bracket, I'd say you'd have a fairly secure Model T. The only way somebody could steal it would be if they had the energy, or enough people, to push the car away. But that's what this wheel lock device is for, right?

http://images.worthpoint.com/files/pb/388/1652/812.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:23 am:

I have one of those also from my dads 1911
just wondering how many anti theft items we offered for the Model T Ford in that era, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Jim, on my T the brake is released when the lever is moved forward<g>. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:59 am:

I know the drum brakes are engaged when the lever is pulled back, but is the transmission brake affected by the emergency brake lever? I believe that only the clutch is affected as the clutch pedal is put in neutral when the lever is pushed forward and goes into high when pulled back, but I'm not sure where the clutch pedal is located when using the anti-theft device. Just seems that engaging the brake pedal would offer that much more security. Even though the chain is secured to the floor by just a wing nut on the underside, most would be thieves would not know that and would be in too much of a hurry to crawl under the car to investigate. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:01 am:

Bob,
The chain, the two hooks and the two wing nuts look very similar to ones on a vulcanizer I have.
It is the kind used to patch a tire, the chain was used to hold the vulcanizer to the tire while the tire was still mounted.
Just a thought,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:20 am:

I think this locking device would be a better choice to reproduce.

Here's the unit on our 1915 Roadster pickup.

Patent courtesy of Art Bell

Locking Device for Steering Wheel
Max F. Grimm
San Antonio, Texas
Patent number: 1266935
Filing date: Jul 30, 1917
Issue date: May 21, 1918

http://tinyurl.com/yhcub7n

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:40 am:

I believe Kevin got it right. I also think the chain setup is for a vulcanizer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration