Windows 8.1 will loose support after May 13th - Update NOW!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Windows 8.1 will loose support after May 13th - Update NOW!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

Yep. Anyone that got "stuck" with Windows 8 or 8.1 by purchasing the OS or a new PC will need to update to 8.1.1 (8.1 - Update 1) before May 13th or loose further update support. Just as the expiration of XP, Windows 8 will still run but no further updates will apply. All updates after May 13th will use 8.1.1 as a prerequisite.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/04/15/microsoft-abandons-windows-8- 1-take-immediate-action-or-be-cut-off-like-windows-xp/?partner=yahootix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

If it weren't for the fact that I just bought this friggin high-end all-in-one, touch screen computer last July with Windows 8 that we absolutely HATE I would dump this dang thing and finally switch to a Mac. But right now I need my $$ to continue "updating engines" on T's! Maybe next year I'll realize the dream. Sad what Microsoft is suddenly doing to do nothing more than line their pockets forcing people to buy new a new OS in order to keep their computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

What about Windows 7? My 8 year old Dell E 510 went to Computer Heaven last month. I've been told that to get 8 years from one of those is a miracle.

Had a friend build me a new tower. It uses Windows 7. Hope they don't abandon that one anytime soon. I laid out a whole $150 bucks for my new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

My 10 year old Dell 8400 is still going strong but now it runs FreeNAS (a variant of unix). I have similar Dells (8 years old) that run Ubuntu and Lubuntu (regular and lite versions) and run great.

No plans buy a new computer when just changing operating systems will make them work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

Windows 7 will be supported until 2020.

Also, a slight correction that remains confusing. It's Windows 8.1 that will need to be updated to 8.1.1. Apparently, MS is treating 8.0 as a different release. There's supposed to be some new features included in 8.1.1 though. You don't have to buy anything if you have 8.1. Just be sure that you check your Tuesday Update cycle or have auto update turned on. But the update must be applied to receive any further updates for 8.1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

A buddy of mine in IT says the talk in the industry is, give windows 8 to those you hate. I will never understand why Microsoft takes something everyone is familiar with and changes it so drastically. Kind of like Office 2010. You know it does everything the old one did but you have to find it. My next computer will be a MAC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Microsoft may be becoming MAC's greatest sales promoter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

I was thinking of getting a new computer until the recent discussion about Windows. Someone said MS is working on an 8.2 software which would be more like XP, so I figure I'll wait for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Two years ago I made the mistake of buying a new HP laptop to take on trips. Any time I've tried to use it on a trip since then, it's given me grief in one way or another. The final straw was last month when it appeared to start up normally, then the screen went black. Nothing I tried would start it. The guy who received it at the repair shop couldn't get it going either. So I went to Chickasha without a computer. While I was there the tech phoned me and said there was nothing wrong with the thing. It was working fine for him. So I sold it to him for $100. I went online and bought a Macbook Pro. At last I have a laptop I'm not too stupid to operate. It is such a relief to use it and not get repeated error messages in incomprehensible computer gibberish. No more Windows for me. Ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Don't know what your problems are, but I am running Vista with no problems at all. My experience with MAC is that it takes more steps to do the same thing as Windows. And, outside of it's graphics capabilities, really doesn't offer any advantages over Windows. I have gone for 95, to XP, to Millenium, to Vista upgrades for differing laptops without a problem. If MAC was all that superior, the business and academic world would be flocking to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

My PC geek put a start button on windows 8, its a thousand times better. Notice Microsoft is offering me 8.1 if I shut down the PC overnight. It says go to the computer store!! Wonder what that will cost. Any one know?
The one good thing with 8 not using touch screen is this PC is very fast, one second usually loads anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Been using MACS and Apples for 33.5 years. During that time also used Win 95. XP, and 8. Now have added IOS. At times it is too easy.

Don't need to be a techie on a MAC.

Cary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Been working around IBM Computers for the last 40 years. I know less about computers now than when I started at the Motor Vehicle Dept. (I really enjoyed my time working on the Vehicle system.)

About every 4 or 5 years, I buy the best PC I can get for about $500 along with the current version of the half doz software pgms I use. I keep my files simple and organized. It works and so do MACs.

I kinda just go with the flow and take it easy in my flat "red" Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

Guys, don't blow this out of proportion. What the article says is that the new baseline for support will be Windows 8.1. This is much like the service packs that were released for XP. If you didn't get service Pack 3 (and the others) you got left behind. You can still upgrade to 8.1, which is a free upgrade, at any time. Future security patches and upgrades will be to the 8,1 version versus the baseline 8. So, just upgrade to the 8.1 version and quit the "bitching". Microsoft has come to the realization that they shot themselves in the foot with Win 8, which is why there is so much chatter about a soon to be Windows 9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:29 pm:

I am still using Windows 7, but I have been getting popups from Microsoft urging me to update to Windows 11. I always believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying. Do I really need to update Windows 7?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 03:19 am:

Terry, that is actually IE11 it is suggesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:16 am:

When will Microsoft learn? They have a history of bringing out the latest and greatest - you gotta have or your PC will not work - and a few months later insist that you upgrade.

Vista was a disaster. XP required service pack 3. I get somewhere between 5 and 15 updates each Wednesday for Windows 7 that take 15 - 20 minutes to install each time. If I am in a hurry to leave the office I have to remember to hibernate it on Wed. Otherwise I have to wait.

My home computer is XP because it would cost me close to $2,000 just to upgrade the software I use Apple is beginning to make sense

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:02 am:

I've tried Apple stuff, and I'm not a fan. It's just different enough that I don't want to learn it. But since the next Windows I get will be so different from XP, I guess that's not really a factor. The price will be, though. Seems like Apple's stuff is way more expensive than PCs, and I don't even need the extra graphics stuff.

My mom's a huge Apple fan. She says she's saving her pennies for a new desktop, since the current one in their house is running XP. She keeps telling me "It's not that hard. Your dad knows how to work it!"

He knows Safari = internet, and he knows how to type in www.ebay.com. That's about all he uses Apple computers for. haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

John and Fred,
I was very happy with XP, but my computer died and the only new one I was willing to spend the bucks for came with Windows 8. I had heard how tricky it was to use, but they convinced me it wasn't that bad. First thing was, they ("Big Blue" box store) refused to transfer my data for me because they knew it wouldn't all transfer to Windows 8 (including my taxes from last year!!!). They begged ME to accept a refund of the money I had paid to have them transfer every thing!
Secondly, 8 wouldn't accept the current programs I had been running on XP (like my printer functions, scanning, faxing ability, photo transfer, "photoshop" program, etc without buying new programs from Microsoft and/or buying new hardware.
Then they came out with the 8.1 update which was supposed to fix/support some of the inadequacies of Windows 8. Downloaded that, and not only got NO improvement, but now 8.1 will not allow my very expensive digital camera to download pictures on my computer because Microsoft says that Olympus didn't pay the required licensing fee for them to be included in the 8.1 update!
When I called customer service to complain, and they explained this to me, I asked the tech what he was using? He said although he could get any OS he wanted from Microsoft, he was using XP. If he had problems with XP, he would go to a Mac before he would use any of the newer MS OS's. And that's one of their own customer service techs! I think that says all you need to know about Microsoft. Every time they come up with an operating system that has problems, rather than fix it, they come up with a new one you have to buy!

Kevin--the academic world is using Mac's. All of our school districts use Mac's. So do the JC's, and most of the Universities (Profs and Admin).

To keep this Model T related, I lost most of my newly acquired 1914 touring pictures when I uploaded 8.1.
Thank you for letting me vent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

I can sure sympathize with the problem of downloading pictures. That's one of the reasons I ditched the HP. It would sometimes download two or three shots then throw up an error message telling me "The parameter was not correct", whatever that means. No repair shop was ever able to explain it or fix it, so good riddance to bad rubbish. With the Macbook Pro I got for $300 I just plug in the camera, click twice, and push the download button on the camera when the little blue light comes on. It's simple and so far it works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

When it comes to windows systems one thing i noticed is HP brand never works properly while acer (And their last years models facelift brand?) emachines are better versions of the same windows software.
HP branded windows systems does something funny/peculiar with windows in my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

*Normal windows systems*
Internet wireless: On
Messenger online
"End task"
Task ended, 42 system processes system time 99% idle.

*Meanwhile in HP land*
Internet wireless: On
Messenger online
HP wireless monitor online
HP updater online
HP (insert vast array of things that hog system resources) enabled
"Turn wireless off"
HP wifi monitor reports no connection!
Would you like updates? (y/n) "N"
Would you like to update your updates? (y/n) "N"
"End tasks"
HP mind duplicate task creator is creating duplicate tasks, please wait.
165 system processes 100% run time devoted to giving meaningless popup messages.
*Blank screen*
HP system crasher online, please wait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

Agreed, Windows 8 was and is a bad idea for most PC or laptop uses. 8.1 not quite as bad. I like Windows 7, works fine and fast all the time. My wifes machine is a few years older and runs Vista, not as fast (related to both hardware and software) but works very reliably. Biggest complaint from us is backward compatibility to support expensive (non Microsoft) software that was fine on XP but not supported by Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 without spending $4K+ for a new release. I blame that on AutoCAD not Microsoft. HP does include a bunch of clutter to a system but I've managed to get rid of or suppress most of it.

My wife had a MAC laptop for a couple years as required equipment for her college. We may be too used to using Microsoft products on Intel hardware as it never was an easy fit. She gave it away when she graduated. Probably a fine system if that's what you want but everything about it (hardware and software) was more expensive than a comparable Intel/Windows system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

All the OEMs include "value added" crapware. That applies not only to PCs but also all printers. They continuously check for updates, "phone home", report your usage and generally gobble-up about 40% of the PC's resources. HP, Sony and Toshiba are probably the worst offenders but they all do it. When I installed the last two printers I bought, all I installed were the drivers. I don't need all the fluffy software designed to consume ink.

If I were to BUY a PC (I build my own), the first thing I'd do when I got it home would be to do a clean install of the OS. And this is NOT from any supplied recovery disk by the OEM. There are free version of Windows in ISO form that you can install using your OEM supplied key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

Yeah bought a new laptop with windblows 8 first things first wiped the hard drive installed UBUNTU 13.1 no problems I was informed by HP that if I did that the warranty on the new laptop would be void O.K. Buh Bye!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

I know just enough about a PC to be dangerous and know when 8 came with the HP PC bought from Costco I was not happy at all.
The set has terabytes of storage and goes anywhere fast My printer is also a 5.00 HP from a G sale. The tower recognized the printer and works fine. Cost for the tower was 500.00.
Took the HP tower and an old Dell with XP to a PC expert he refurbished the Dell and put a start button on the Windows 8 set and came to my home and installed both using a router.

Its taken me months to get a handle on the Windows 8 but with that start button and the speed of the unit I have come to like it.
The total cost was 150.00 to set up both the PC units in my home or 670.00 for two good working sets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

My lady friend has 8.1. What does May 13 mean to her?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:10 pm:

Richard,

Your lady friend with 8.1 will be just fine. That version is the new baseline for updates. I believe the original poster mus-interpreted the article he references as stirred up a "bee hive" over very little. As I said in my post above, for anyone with Win 8, 8.1 is a free install so do that and you will be fine. 8.1 give you the option to boot to a standard PC interface, that is you get the start button back and all will be well with the world. Personally I'm good with Win &, and won't think of upgrading until I see what Win 9 is like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:28 pm:

Win 8.X = Bad Bad Bad
Win 7.X EXCELLENT
-------------------------
I've mentioned it before - I am a serious power user and all around computer junkie. My friend who has worked at Symantec (Norton) for years even comes to me from time to time for advice on stuff. Not trying to brag, just laying out my particular skill set here.

For desktop use, Win 8.X has been a near disaster for me; an abomination of epic proportions. The user interface of Win 8.X is such a mess that it nearly ruptures the very space-time continuum itself with its overpowering unfriendliness.

In case you haven't inferred from my post yet - I hate it with every fibre of my being.

Someday soon, I will be purchasing a copy of Win 7 and getting rid of the blight that is currently infecting my computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:30 pm:

What I was going to say but didn't get around to in my rant above is that I don't care how many times they attempt to polish the turd that is Win 8.X with updates, sooner or later I am dumping it for 7.x.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

wow l must have missed something, we had XP years ago, my kids have win 7, l have win 8 and l love it !!!! maybe l don't near enough about the OS to criticize it that much, but it certainly does everything l need it to and more BUT, l cant for the life of me update to 8.1 !!! its been downloading three times now and each time it nearly completes it comes back with the error message " not completed " ... now that's not very helpful.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

David is your OS 32 or 64 bit?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-64-bit-32-bit.htm

Make sure you're DLing the correct version of 8.

Go to the second paragraph at thislink try DLing again:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/whats-new?ocid=GA8-1_O_WOL_DIS_NULL _UPGR_GDRWin81UpdateApr2014_Null_01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 07:03 am:

Windows 8.1 has a "Desktop" icon that you click on to make it function exactly like XP. One extra click every time I fire it up.

It's been great for me once I learned that one thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:48 am:

My #8 Story. A couple of years ago, my Son in Law bought me a new computer from COSTCO for my birthday, complete surprise. It came loaded with programs, which included #8. Not knowing much about such things, I thought that was good. Bad news was that I was in the middle of writing my "Book", had over 600 pages of text and pictures. I "thought" I was still in the old windows 7, until one day I went back and looked at my saved "Book". You have never seen such a mess. I have spent considerable time and money, and have had some very knowledgeable people try to help, and the consensus is to go back through it line by line. I can't do that at this point in my life, so it looks like my "Book" will die on the vine as it were.

My Wife is going through the throes of buying a new computer, but she was smart, and went to Wally World and bought a #7, which she will have installed in her new one, if she ever gets it. Like everyone else, I cannot fathom why they took a very good system and screwed it up, but such is life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

Really, Royce. I have 8.1 and got no such icon with the upgrade. Was your upgrade aftermarket or from MS?

I need to see if I can get me that icon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

We had Windows HP and our son loaded Windows 7 and then left for northern California, meanwhile we were at Las Vegas. When we got home the new system is up and running, but can't find anything in it. I left some e-mails in the computer which are not available now. Etc.
I hope we can figure this thing out. At least I found the Model T Forum :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

Royce, somewhere in 8.1 is a setting to have the system boot to desktop. It can save you the extra "click".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

And one more question Royce, when you say "exactly" like XP (or 7?) are you saying that it puts the "START" button in the lower left as well? That's the key issue for me. I did a lot from that start button.

I can get to the desktop fine, but without that start button, it's not much of an advantage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

If you don't want to do the update simply install that >>> http://www.rocketdownload.com/program/start-menu-8-487118.html

Your WIN8 machine will boot to the desktop and you won't even know if you're running XP, 7 or 8....... :-)

Start-Menu is free and 100% crap free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Hey Craig that looks very cool. Have you DLd from this site before?

It looks like a developer's site sort of like SourceForge.net (Which I know to be safe.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Scratch my last post, Craig. I did some due diligence and determined that the DL was cool and got it direct from the developer's site (not Rocketdownload).

Installed in seconds and looks great!

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

Glad you like it Danial.......I've been pushing it since it became available.......I HATE HATE HATE the WIN8 interface........ :-( .......can't even find where to shut off the damn thing.
I tried other downloads and work arounds but this is the best thing going as far as I'm concerned.
I've installed it on a number of WIN8 machines and everyone thanked me for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:17 am:

Windows 8.1.1 (the newest update) is what Windows 8 should have been for desktops. It will look and feel like Win 7 which isn't a big stretch from XP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 01:31 am:

Do all the XP function keys work on the newer ones?

F5 = Refresh
alt F4 = exit
etc.

It's much better to mash a function key than chase a mouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 02:50 am:

Yes Ricks.......all the keyboard shortcuts work; CTRL/a, CTRL/c, CTRL/v, CTRL/w, and all the rest....... :-)
You can create your own too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Thanks, Craig. They sure didn't work when I upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007. I hated it, and went back to 2003, which I still use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Daniel,

Yes, Windows 8 when in the DESKTOP mode has a button in the lower LH corner that looks like a window pane. When you hover the cursor over it you get the word "START". Clicking on it opens a screen populated with icons that represent all the things you can do.

I do think the GUI of XP was something that Microsoft should have kept constant. The GUI of Windows 8 works exactly the same way, just the buttons look different and are in different spots. They moved things around and added flash but no substance.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration