Best rims/ wrong rims?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Best rims/ wrong rims?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Well i need to replace some tires that have some dry-rot issues and seem unsafe. While checking all five i noticed that a few of the rims had been previously replaced and are of different styles. They are De-mountable style rims but a few (Hayes style)seem to have the mounting hole bracket welded further into the rim which seems like it interferes with the seating of the steel/wood spoke assembly. This seems like a bad idea as i can see some space between the spoke/rim assembly, and the tire/rim assembly...any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Pictures are better than words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 12:14 am:

Will do Steve, i thought it sounded confusing when i typed it out. While i have you here, what is the best way to true up the spoke/rim assembly?..can i loosen up the spoke bolts , and fasten it down to a straight solid surface, and re-tighten the bolts? Does that work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:20 am:

John,

Below is a cross section of the different rims that Ford supplied new on the cars. It is from the Jan 1924 Ford Service Bulletin.

Note that both the Hayes 2845B as well as the Ford 2845B [which was produced by Ford and by other companies for Ford] have the fixed lugs permanently attached. But the foot of the Hayes lug goes further back than the Ford 2845B lug. Those two rims are interchangeable and will fit either the Hayes or the Ford style felloes properly. Both of them are designed for the fellow to have a notch or depression on the outside of the rim so the lug does not prevent the rim from seating properly against the inside of the fellow. I.e. you should not be able to run a piece of paper between the felloe and the rim on the side closest to the frame. You often can do that where the rim is over the felloe on the outside of the rim. The load is carried by the seating on the inside of the fellow. There were some variations in the rims and in some cases the outside rim also had a ledge that would tend to mate up against the rim but most of the ones I have seen so far the weight of the car is carried by the inside of the fellow and rim meeting. [Note Kelsey with detachable lugs used both the inside and outside surface of the felloe to mate with the rim.]

A good summary of the 30 x 3 1/2 clincher demountables is located at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/135230.html and also see http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437128.html

And as Steve mentioned photos would be very helpful.

Note the rim has some adjustment on the felloe i.e. you can remove a little bit of felloe wobble by off setting the rim as you tighten it down. You can also cause a wobble on a straight felloe by off setting the rim.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration