Holley G info please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Holley G info please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 12:07 am:

I believe the Holley G started out in 1914. I am restoring a "G" that has the 3-screw cover that reads "Pat. Pending". Also, no ring groove cast into the intake horn. When did the "Pending" change to the standard label we see so often. What are some other characteristics of the first "G" carbs? How scarce are these early "G" carburetors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Erich-
Holly G
Pat'd Dec 22, 1914
: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

I believe your is for '14 and the Holley with the patent date is correct for'15 and later. The Holley 2 screw is '13. I don't think there is too much difference between the two carburetors but the patent pending carburetors that I have are all brass while the later ones are not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Thanks guys. The one I am working with is all brass/bronze (sure looks nice all cleaned up). Are the patent pending carbs particularly rare or relatively less common? Sounds like they were "pending" for pretty much the whole year of 1914?

Going back to that interesting article regarding the testing of model T carburetors (I still don't get those brown/black graphs) looks like the "G" is in the middle of the pack performance wise. I have heard they idle well and run pretty smooth even if not the best power (no Gs in the M500 I bet).

What do folks who drive a Holley "G" think about living with these carbs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Erich -- I have logged several thousand miles with a Holley G carb on my '15 Touring Car. I drove it to Richmond and back (1,800 mi.) for the Centennial without a moment's trouble with it, and averaged 17 mpg for the trip. It's a carb which is easy to understand and operate. My car starts easily and dependably with it and has good power. It's not my very favorite carb, but it's original to that car and several other years, and it's a very good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

Thanks Mike. That is what I hear. After I get this one finished, I may just run it for a time to experience what it is like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:10 pm:

Erich;
I find part of the fun of only having one T is getting new things and trying them for a while, then taking them off and trying something else. Like you I seem to play with a lot of different carbs and intakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

So it isn't only me. Sure makes the learning fun.

Here is a link to the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157644026330126/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 02:14 am:

Erich-

I have found for my stem-winders cars that the Holly G is the easiest for starting.

That being said, I have a Stromberg LF that Stan rebuilt for me that I still haven't tried...

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 08:14 am:

Keith, I love my LF. Now if I could just find an OF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 08:20 am:

Looking at many parts of this "G", I can tell it was used for many, many miles back in the day. Especially in this image.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/13906755253/

Now it is almost ready to come out of retirement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 08:59 am:

Does this G have a brass bowl, or is that color because of the warm lighting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

Heavy brass bowl, no cracks. Almost make a good water bowl for a small dog. Sure makes an eye pleasing carburetor. I just can't paint it black. The cork float responded well to cleaning and re-sealing with "hot fuel proof dope".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:34 pm:

New floats are available from the vendors. They also have venturis. I think they are one of the prettiest of all the T Ford carbs. As far as performance, I think it is hard to tell just what is better in those early ones. I like the way the G starts and runs and I like that it has a large bowl so there is a good supply of gas in the carb. The main problem with them that I see is getting varnish/gunk/sand/whatever in the area below the venturi that doesn't come out when you clean it unless you pull the venturi and the jet.

Erich, I'll smack you upside the head if you paint that black!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

Stan, I was thinking pink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

Eric,

I agree with Stan. Don't paint anything including the bow. This all brass G carb was used in 1914 after the 2 screw top came out. The 1914 has "Patent Pending" on the top plate. In 1915 the steel bowl was substituted and also a ridge was cast into the intake part of the body. The top had "patented Dec 22, 1914. In 1919 the body was cast iron with a steel bowl and the intake ridge was eliminated (smooth intake like 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

Don't worry, I would never paint over that pretty bronze/brass. Heck, I just like to stare at it from time to time while I'm waiting for the gasket set.

The strangler tube looked so good I was reluctant to take it out but after what Stan said above, I think I better just to be sure nothing is hiding in the basement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

Was the brass bowl on the 14 pat pend carb the same as the bowl on the previous 2 screw cover carbs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Eric,
I sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Eric,

I'm not positive whether the bowl on the 2 screw and 3 screw G was the same but I believe so. (Let's see, where did I leave my memory??? :-)). I know there was a slight difference in the float for the 1913 and 1914-20 version. Don't have a 2 screw to compare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

Dennis, got it, PMed ya back. I checked that bowl again, my memory wasn't in there, nor was yours.

So the 3 screw G only had the brass bowl for 14 and thats it? Steel bowl from 15 on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

I thought that "Pat Pend" carb was used on some 13's as well, but not sure. They went to the steel bowl for '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

My 14 has a G on it and I like the way it runs. When the car came into my care I replaced the cork float with one of the new ones from the vendors. On a tour 2 years ago the pot metal venturi broke and fell into the bottom of the carb. I knew something was wrong but it kept running at speed but would not idle. I have no idea why the car kept running. Do yourself a favor and replace the original pot metal venturi with the new aluminum one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:31 pm:

That pre-15 brass bowl must be pretty scarce. I have several bronze G carbs, and a mess of extra bowls, but that's the first brass bowl I've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 03:45 am:

This got me thinking, so I went out and unearthed a 1915 NOS Holley G I have had for a long time. Shelf wear but zero usage marks on needles or seats or mix adjustment bar. Sure enough, bronze body but steel bowl.

See here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/sets/72157644056983232/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 08:46 am:

I have three pre '15 Holley's and they all have the brass bowl. Unfortunately, one of them is split in a number of places and attempts to repair it have failed. Does anyone make a replacement?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 09:27 am:

I would think not, due to the limited market. You can buy just about any NH part new because so many of those carbs were made. The G is less plentiful and many parts for it aren't being reproduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:02 am:

The brass bowls are pretty hard to find that are usable. Like most of the brass bowls of the era, they split and crack pretty readily. I have bought several G's to get a good brass bowl off it, with a little machining on the body of the carb I can fit a G bowl to a U & J carb. The earlier bowl for the Holley two screw is made of unobtanium. I wish somebody would make some of those. Langs used to have them but the guy who made them either quit or died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Erich-
Note that on both of the brass Holly G carburetors you have the choke arm has been replaced.
Of the first one it looks like the choke arm from a late NH. The second one looks to be a choke arm from a later (post 1919) G. Both of your choke arms have the second arm to activate the choke from the driver's seat for use with the "stomp starter" (which might be a handy thing if your case.)
Both of your choke arms are stamped steel, whereas both of your throttle arms are forged steel. I have seen and had both forged steel and cast brass (bronze?) on the throttle and choke arms on brass Holly G carburetors for both pre and post 1919.

This one is not mine, but typical of the 1915 G:

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, April 18, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

Keith, so right. Now you point it out, it should have been obvious. I guess I spend to much time looking at the NH so it didn't jump out at me. So that 15 must be an old rebuild. On the photo above, I see the gasket between the nut and bowl. I was wondering if it should go between the bowl and the carb instead?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration