OT Sorta I was wondering...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT Sorta I was wondering...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 03:29 pm:

if a Model T was ever used to pull a Civil war cannon to a rememberance gathering? With too much time on my hands, I got to thinking, that when the Ts first came out, the Civil war was only past by 50 years and some of those guys would have been still alive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

I don't see why not. There's a lot of smart people out there who could figure out how to hitch the cannon to the car. Maybe there's a picture out there somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Well, the big reunion was June 29 - July 4, 1913 (50th anniversary).

In attendance were about 53,407 veterans (about 9 thousand from the South). They encamped on the Gettysburg Battlefield in tents. They had just over 3,000 support personnel (mess staff, Boy Scouts, War Department officials, medical field hospital).

It was the largest Civil War reunion ever held.

By 1938, when the 75th Anniversary was held, only 8,000 veterans combined from both sides were living and only about 1,800 attended that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

Wes

Think rather not. At least not with the 'real' reenactments of battles from the War Between the Sates, or as we in the south call it the War of Northern Aggression :-)

Today these followers are very accurate in preserving history, and they follow strictly the time period, acting with speak (words) of the 1860's. When you attend an event, these period costumed guys and gals won't answer a modern question, like where is your cell phone? or what car did you drive to get here today? :-)

Civil war camping, Silver River FL 2009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Dan, that's not entirely true. Not all reenactors are that "hard core" enough to let go of modernity. In fact, most reenactors are way too "well-fed" to pass as an authentic "Soldier" of the 19th century.

I've been a reenactor for over 20 years and have seen it all. One guy even swore on his grandmother's grave that Duct Tape was invented in the 1860's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

willpaulie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

I like the photo of the "real" reenactment soldiers sitting at the folding table.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

here's the vets arriving in 1913.
1913vets

and here's General Sickles in a town car of some sort.
1913sickles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

here's picket's charge (labeled 1913, but most likely 1938)
picketscharge

and here's one from 1938 at the wall on Cemetery Ridge
wall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

and lastly: here's a mash-up of different telecasts showcasing the vets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt7qvuHSg6U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

Thanks for the reminder. It's time to clean my 1861 Springfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Oops, that might not read right...the point is that the modern folding table is not right for being accurate and period correct.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Tim

Yes you are correct, rather bad example I posted.

However, I've been to a couple of reenactments, including Battle of Olustee, FL which is rather well done. Once outside Hastings MI, there was a week long one, and among the soldiers strolled Abe himself! Rather good character actor, along with his adjunct, and told period story of riding in D.C. one nite and being shot at, his hat still had the hole in it! Fun are these civil war gatherings to me.

But this wasn't a reenactment scene, just a gathering at Silver Springs State Park, exhibiting some civil war buffs, and others for pioneer days.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration