Steering wheel paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering wheel paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Hi guys ,
were the fordite steering wheel rims painted from the factory?
thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:39 am:

No, Fordite is quite resistant by itself over time without any paint. You may get a little black on your hands, though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:43 am:

John, no they were plain after years of use they will rub off on everything. I clean mine up with a good detergent and lightly steel wool them with a very fine wool, clean and coat with polyurethane, no more black rub off and they look good, other options will be forthcoming.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:57 am:

rick ,
what kind of poly do you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 11:04 am:

John, what i have is Minwax Clear, i bought a 1/2 pint several years ago, a little goes a long way.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Nothing is needed other than a good coat of paste wax. Nothing comes off on my hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 11:52 am:

I was advised by forum members a year or so ago to just wash it with soap and water and rub dry.
I did that and no more black stuff on my hands.
I'm ready to do it again when necessary.
Not yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

After cleaning with tuff stuff I just put tire
shine on it. My big trucks same thing - that
black you get is nasty but anything like tire
shine amaral is ok but dont last. Next I tried
Sikens marine bright varnish stuff. that works.
sponge brush it works so far....sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

I have been very happy with the look and feel of this method. Clean the wheel with whatever you want, rub it well with fine steel wool, may need a little sandpaper action if it is not smooth. Once I get it very smooth, wipe it down with a good paste wax, then before buffing, set it in with a heat gun on low setting. Not to much heat. Even a hair dryer would work. I use a heat gun made for shrinking monofilm model airplane skins. You can watch it liquify and penetrate as the heat goes by. I do this once or twice, then a fresh coat of wax, let dry, then buff it well. Looks great, not to much shine, feels smooth, no mess on the hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Hey Bob Gruber I tried that trick with the soap and the water on myself once, surprised how well it works and not too painful either. Not that I would to try that anytime soon again. lol

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration